Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1979 John Deere 214, 1972 140 h1
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tractor is a 72 JD 140 with K321. It ran the other day but only with the choke fully closed. Put it back together last night and it will fire but dies as soon as key is let off. I gotta go back and verify my wiring tonight but have a few questions.
1. Not understanding the ACR on these engines I tested compression the normal way. Had 92 psi with engine cranking. Just got my manual so I probably need to test it per those procedures.
2. I figured it may be a key switch so I took a known working switch and coil wire from my 214. Same issue.
3. Points are gapped at .020 and I can visually see them sparking when I crank it.

Any thoughts? I'm going to re trace all the wiring tonight and test as I go. Figured I'd see if anyone has tips to point me in the right direction first.

·
Registered
592 Posts
First things first. Use your test light and see if you have voltage to coil with key ON but not in crank position. That will tell us a lot. Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get home tonight I'll start tracing wires back to the switch and beyond. I know the switch is good as I have swapped it back and forth between my 214 and it works too there. I might have pulled something loose when I put the battery tray in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured it out. I had the bullet connectors from the solenoid and the circuit breaker backward so no voltage going to the key switch. Now I have voltage to the coil but no spark. Going to go ahead and buy a coil, points and condenser and see if that solves that issue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Get yourself a blue Bosch coil. I can also recommend a Kirk Engines Points Saver (Solid state condenser replacement). :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Get yourself a blue Bosch coil. I can also recommend a Kirk Engines Points Saver (Solid state condenser replacement). :)
So those coils hold up good huh? Looks like it is a little over $40 on Amazon

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Good to know. I need a coil for one of the 300’s I am bringing back to life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts