Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 318 with rear pro , looks like from the factory, but the rear pto assembly is not a enclosed gearbox. The rear assembly I have has an open profile showing the chains and internals. This has a rear PTO shaft setup, not a bully. I am trying to post pictures to see if someone can tell me if this is JD original or an aftermarket / homemade setup ? IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1048-1.jpg IMG_1048-1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,678 Posts
I agree with Cliff, not a factory setup. And I don't see the shaft that attaches to the rear of the transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the shaft, everything up to the gearbox looks factory, I just did not see anything before that looked like the gearbox assembly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am in agreement with the posts here, that looks very home made. Or at least built one at a time. There's half a dozen details that just would not lend themselves to batch production.

Assuming it's in good shape, it might be quite serviceable though, and if so, could be a quite valuable addition to a tractor that's used more than it's displayed.

I don't see much in the way of chain guides or tensioning adjustments. It may be a little loud. Probably not obnoxiously so, or maybe that extra thing I can't identify on the back of the chain is it and I just can't see it. Really cool if it's there, but if not, no biggie. I'd also count the teeth on the two gears, that'll let you figure the output speed. Only from the pictures, It looks to me like it's slowed down too much to be the "factory speed", and geared up too much to be a standard 540 rpm. Again, probably quite a useful piece, but that's a piece of trivia that you really want to know before you over torque the transaxle mounts with aggressive use of an implement at very high gear reduction, or before you ride a mower into low earth orbit with not enough gear reduction.

I've seen pictures only of one other home made PTO, and I really like the simplicity of this one. Like others have said, this might just turn out to be a really useful asset.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
It is definitely a speed reduction from the driveshaft speed of the tractor (the speed at the electric clutch/brake assembly) and may be enough to get it down to 2000 RPM -- counting the teeth of each on the two sprockets will give you the ratio. The clutch runs at about 3450 RPM on the 318. The reduction ratio needed is 1/1.725

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts