Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 317. I believe it has the K17 series 1 motor serial number (163826 M). My key is left on an drain my battery dead then found out after I charged it I have no spark. I bought a starter coil offline butt still getting no spark threw my spark plugs. I have tried with a screwdriver to get a spark off the mounting bracket to try to jump a spark but no spark either. I'm getting no juice to my plug I see a lil spark off my points but that's it.

Sorry for any misspellings or punctuation errors I am not very good that sort of stuff please don't make fun or give a hard time thanks

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
When the key is left on and the points are closed, all that juice being drained from the battery usually ruins the points. The contacts get burned so they don't perform correctly. Get a new set of points and a new condenser for it, set the points per that model's specs, and see what happens. There is a possibility that there is another problem, but start with the new points and go from there.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
61 Posts
May have burned up the coil too, if the points were closed. Had this happen to me on my old Harley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not a hard or expensive job to do all the advised stuff. Your points are toast...replace them/reset them...get a kit with points and condenser. Check your coil with a volt meter...it might not be toast. While you're doing a basic tuneup pull and check your plugs, clean and regap if they are dirty, and check your plug wires. Before you pull stuff off the engine, use your phone camera to take photos of how it all goes together...pretty simple, but you'd be surprised what you forget in this process until you start putting new components on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts