Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1981 210, 1966 110 round fender, 1971 110
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a square baker that will work with a JD318. A buddy has 5 acres of hay that he would like to bale himself. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only thing I can think of that would work is a mini round baler. But they are really made for compact utility tractors. Running a 14t or 24t baler would be like riding a bull on a garden tractor. Plus you would need a pto, however, some 14t had an optional Wisconsin engine to power it. Does he understand he’ll need a hay mower like a sickle bar or disc, and a rake? For me, and I don’t mean to disparage, 5 acres isn’t worth the investment in equipment.

If a neighbor has equipment, or brings in someone to hay a field your friend might be able to hire them even though it’s a small acreage. Around here it’s $4 a small square and depending on quality and protein content and can sell for $10-13 a bale. Here they won’t show up unless you have 30 plus acres.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Can't remember name of newspaper. Homemade stuff and farm projects. Someone made a stationary baler where you hauled loose hay to the baler. Here is an example ...http://minibaler.com/

Gabby

·
Registered
220 Posts
Step #1 Sell 318 (or make 540 PTO)
Step #2 Buy 4x5 with 540 PTO
Step #3 Abbriata Pull Type Round Baler
Step #4 Post photos here
=)

A square baler would beat anything in the GT class to death.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah but round balers are boring : ) He needs something that clunks and jerks, and has unreliable knotters and no two bales are the same : )

·
Registered
220 Posts
In that case (and was going to say this anyway), it would probably be cheaper to not attempt to use a GT.
The Abbriata costs [email protected] so,
Decent Old Ford (Not 8N), Farmall (400, etc), Deere etc: $2,000-$4,000 (Used)
Decent Old Square Baler, ~$2,000-$4,000 (Used)
Decent old Haybine: $2,000-$3000 (Used) or a new Disc/Drum mower for about 2x the price
New 4 Wheel rake (Using TTD Prices) $1,500 (New)
(Optional) Tedder $500-$2000 (Used)
Total: $8,000-$14,500
As a benefit that setup could handle more acres easily.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Why not hire a neighbor farmer to bale it for you? Hour or so to cut it and another hour to bale it. You get to sit in the shade and watch the work get done.

·
Registered
1981 210, 1966 110 round fender, 1971 110
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome, thanks for the responses. He currently has someone doing all the work for him. He just wants to save some money and make it more profitable for himself. Plus like any other red blooded American he LOVES using his John Deere.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I understand Jason. Just looking ahead. The dried stubble in the field could be rough on 2 ply tires. He may have 4-6 ply tires already. Just something to keep an eye on. I had a Locust thorn poke a hole in a new 4-ply DeeStone AG tire ... Gabby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts