Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 1990 john deere 322 with low hours like 500 hours ..its a 3 cylinder yomar gas runs good . i bit rusty but can be cleaned up and repainted .my question is whats the life spand of the water cooled yomar motors ?? i am probley going to fix it up for my daughter .. it will probley out live her .. myself i like the 430 .

· Registered
327 Posts
whats the life spand of the water cooled yomar motors ??
The tractor will rust away to nothing before the engine dies lol. Seriously, though, I’d put it up into the several thousand hours range. Now, that’s provided you keep the air and oil filters and oil changed properly. It’s pretty much the same 3tn66uj the 332 has, but it’s carbed. Main problem I read about on the 322 unique to it, is the ignition. And the ignition parts aren’t cheap.

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
I have had two of the model 322 tractors with the gas Yanmar 3 cylinder engine -- and I have to say this is my very most favorite classic Deere garden tractor. Smooth power and very quiet. Expect the engine life to run well into the thousands of hours with proper care. The ignition is a bit unique as stated above, but not that difficult to trouble shoot and maintain. Some engine parts are common to the similarly powered front mowers like the F932. The documents from that machine are a bit easier to understand than the earlier TM1591 manuals. Some excerpt are below.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Font Material property Screenshot Document Number

Font Document Number

Rectangle Font Schematic Slope Parallel

Font Number Screenshot Document

If you don't have the TM1591 (you likely do because it also covers the 430...) just let us know and we can help out there as well.

Here is a picture of my two 322 tractors -- please post a picture or two of your new addition!!
Wheel Tire Riding mower Plant Vehicle

Chuck

· Registered
6,510 Posts
The gas Yanmars are a sweet power plant, to run and to maintain. Make sure it's clean underneath, and the sides of the operator's pedestal. Keep it clean and make sure the radiator fins are clear. A good initial service should include radiator & engine block flush. Mine is every bit as reliable as my 430 once I got it to square 1, after some neglect from 2 previous owners. It'll do much the same work as your 430s and in tighter spaces too.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gas Yanmars are a sweet power plant, to run and to maintain. Make sure it's clean underneath, and the sides of the operator's pedestal. Keep it clean and make sure the radiator fins are clear. A good initial service should include radiator & engine block flush. Mine is every bit as reliable as my 430 once I got it to square 1, after some neglect from 2 previous owners. It'll do much the same work as your 430s and in tighter spaces too.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had two of the model 322 tractors with the gas Yanmar 3 cylinder engine -- and I have to say this is my very most favorite classic Deere garden tractor. Smooth power and very quiet. Expect the engine life to run well into the thousands of hours with proper care. The ignition is a bit unique as stated above, but not that difficult to trouble shoot and maintain. Some engine parts are common to the similarly powered front mowers like the F932. The documents from that machine are a bit easier to understand than the earlier TM1591 manuals. Some excerpt are below. ....thanks for the response chuck yo have been a big help ..
View attachment 286116
View attachment 286119
View attachment 286120
View attachment 286117

View attachment 286118

If you don't have the TM1591 (you likely do because it also covers the 430...) just let us know and we can help out there as well.

Here is a picture of my two 322 tractors -- please post a picture or two of your new addition!!
View attachment 286121

Chuck

· Registered
16 Posts
Trac- Can you suggest the correct /safest cooling system flush and correct coolant type to refill it ( or does it need to be JD branded coolant)? I bought a couple of 322's this summer and never got the time to research how to do this properly. After seeing some nightmares with mixing wrong coolants and automotive cooling systems, I want to make sure I don't make things worse by introducing the wrong chemistry into the system!

· Registered
6,510 Posts
Pretty simple system. Drain radiator and engine block. Examine for crud etc. Refill with distilled water, run engine up to temp, drain...repeat a couple of times...checking for crud/scale. Use a flush product if you wish during repeats.
Refill to spec using 50:50 premix green coolant IIRC, then run & service according to your own standard.
Keeping the bottom air inlets and pedestal screens clean is important, as well as regularly cleaning the radiator fins with compressed air after every use. It draws air in from below/behind the rear of the radiator, pulls it through the radiator and out the engine side panels. It has to breathe well to run well/strong.

· Registered
5,072 Posts
if you are taller than 5-9 with a beer gut, a 430 might be better for you

im 5-11 and the 332 I did a diff lock on, felt very cramped to my 430 with a deluxe seat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts