Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 john deere 322 i just picked up 690 hours on meter ..hard to start when cold once started .....she start right up .. seems like it needs a carb cleaning .. but if i open hood and choke it manually she starts up when cold .. and info would be apprieated .. i know some of you guys have the same tractor and are filmilure with them .and know what to look for .. i read somewere that the linkage might be sticking .or stiff ..

· Registered
6,502 Posts
On a cold start, you advance the throttle lever about 1/3rd before you crank it. Do this with air cleaner off and watch the choke plate after it starts...it should gradually open as the engine warms up if the auto/electric choke is working. The SM includes a check/test/adjust procedure on this.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a cold start, you advance the throttle lever about 1/3rd before you crank it. Do this with air cleaner off and watch the choke plate after it starts...it should gradually open as the engine warms up if the auto/electric choke is working. The SM includes a check/test/adjust procedure on this.
thanks for the info tmac ..

· Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Steve,

Tmac is right to advance the throttle before cranking -- this tends to allow the choke plate to return to closed when the carburetor is cold...otherwise it stays in the open position it last held when the engine was shut down warm. And you are also correct that the linkages need to be free to move, as there is not much force generated by that bi-metal strip in the auto choke mechanism.

Here is a bit of the auto choke/carburetor setting process from the manual:
Product Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Rim

Chuck

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve,

Tmac is right to advance the throttle before cranking -- this tends to allow the choke plate to return to closed when the carburetor is cold...otherwise it stays in the open position it last held when the engine was shut down warm. And you are also correct that the linkages need to be free to move, as there is not much force generated by that bi-metal strip in the auto choke mechanism.

Here is a bit of the auto choke/carburetor setting process from the manual:
View attachment 286189

Chuck
i checked it today seems like the linkage is stiff .. i will pull it out in spring and go through it and paint it up .. i am thinking i am going to like the 322 seems to run great and quite also

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Didn't know JDs had automatic chokes available. Is it kohler (eng.) specific, or tractor options?
3cyl Gas Yanmar 322's had it added sometime in the middle of the production run if I remember correctly.

· Premium Member
10,382 Posts
It was actually pretty early in the production run, about late 1988 or early 1989 as near as can be figured out. My early 1988 came with a manual choke, but most 322 tractors you will find had the electric choke from the factory, like my 1992 model. By the time I got my 1988 as a second tractor it had already been converted to the electric choke style of carburetor...

The definitive information on which engines had the manual choke shows only the ENGINE serial number: Per the PC2149 parts catalog listings the Yanmar SN up to 010713 had the manual choke, and SN of 010714 and up had the electric choke.

Chuck

· Registered
274 Posts
thank you chuck ..you are very knowledgeable and a asset to this site i need to get a 322 manual
Steven,
I sent you a PM (conversation) that should help you out.
Andrew.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts