Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! First time poster here!
I just recently picked up a 332 (1100 hours) for the wife and noticed today when I was walking up to her that it was smoking very lightly. Like just where I could barely see it when the sun hit it just right.

I pulled it in and popped the hood and saw a nice fuel leak. The hose between the filter and the motor has a nice little hole in it.

Could this have been causing enough fuel loss to cause it to smoke? Also, any idea where I can pickup a replacement hose? I don't have the parts and tech manuals for it yet.

I like my machines to be perfect. Is the light smoke even anything to worry about?

Thanks so much guys! Glad to be a part!

--Jasonszion

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Air in the fuel will cause smoke.

Injectors are another possible cause not to be looked at until fixing the other line and running it at least an hour. Actually make that 5 with a good diesel treatment used as the bottle says. Stanodyne and opti lube are well regarded. JD has excellent products to in general.

If injectors get real bad you will start making oil, but if run real hot for long periods it will evaporate fuel out of the oil. I wouldn't think they are bad 2000 hours maybe but the only ones Ive seen replaced were over 2500 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air in the fuel will cause smoke.

Injectors are another possible cause not to be looked at until fixing the other line and running it at least an hour. Actually make that 5 with a good diesel treatment used as the bottle says. Stanodyne and opti lube are well regarded. JD has excellent products to in general.

If injectors get real bad you will start making oil, but if run real hot for long periods it will evaporate fuel out of the oil. I wouldn't think they are bad 2000 hours maybe but the only ones Ive seen replaced were over 2500 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh wow thanks! I am on my first tank in this thing. I will grab some treatment and get it in there. Usually I run Diesel Kleen in every tank in my 430 but Ill take a look at those treatments that you suggested. I was just out so I did not throw any in the tank when I filled up the 332.

When you say "making oil" what do you mean by that so I will keep an eye out.

Thanks KB!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 332 which has over 3,000 hours on it had the exact same kinda smoke your talking about you could only see it in the right lighting conditions. My problem turned out to be the injectors. This style of injector has been know to wear out quicker than say injectors in big trucks for example. IIRC its a pintle type injector. Both myself and another member here nick4030 had this issue. Nick's 332 has IIRC has around 600 hours on it and he had to replace his. They aren't difficult to replace they're just expensive. Here's the link to my thread on it on Mytractorforum. http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1038418-john-deere-332-unusual-smoke-exhaust.html

·
Registered
435 Posts
What KB is talking about is having fuel pass through the rings and end up in the crankcase. When this happens your oil level will go up hence "making oil". Once you get enough in the crankcase you will be able to smell it on the dipstick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
if no smoke out the exhaust then your fine
fuel on engine will smoke a lil
the crank case vent will allow vapors to be released as well

Reactions: jasonszion

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 332 hazes a little until it gets up to temperature. I suspect that at 1500 hours I should do something with the injectors and now that I have a second tractor (actually 3 more) I can afford to have it down long enough to do it. I looked at buying a pop tester and doing it myself but at $64 for new nozzles plus the shims it makes more sense just to buy new injectors. I could put the old ones on eBay and sell them as cores to recoup some of the money.
The bottom line is that it will run just fine as it is. If you start seeing noticeable black smoke while it's not under a heavy load then it's time to do something about it. At that point you may start making oil and having exhaust temps high enough to do damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 332 which has over 3,000 hours on it had the exact same kinda smoke your talking about you could only see it in the right lighting conditions. My problem turned out to be the injectors. This style of injector has been know to wear out quicker than say injectors in big trucks for example. IIRC its a pintle type injector. Both myself and another member here nick4030 had this issue. Nick's 332 has IIRC has around 600 hours on it and he had to replace his. They aren't difficult to replace they're just expensive. Here's the link to my thread on it on Mytractorforum. http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1038418-john-deere-332-unusual-smoke-exhaust.html
Awesome! That is good to know. I guess if it was not just fuel burning off I will start looking into injectors. I dont mind buying new ones. I just like it to be right. Nice to see another NC guy on here!

What KB is talking about is having fuel pass through the rings and end up in the crankcase. When this happens your oil level will go up hence "making oil". Once you get enough in the crankcase you will be able to smell it on the dipstick.

Oh ok! That makes sense! Ill keep an eye on that as well!

if no smoke out the exhaust then your fine
fuel on engine will smoke a lil
the crank case vent will allow vapors to be released as well
I am hoping at this point it is just the fuel leak. I guess we will see!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have yet to come across a 332 doing this where the injectors weren't bad. Pintle injectors wear relatively quickly and you end up with either poor fuel atomization, or popping off at to low of pressure, or both. You can buy just the nozzles from Deere then take the injectors and nozzles to an injection shop and have them install the nozzles and shim to the correct pop pressure. If your unsure if they're bad, you can take the injectors to the injection shop first and have them tested. It will show you both pressure and atomization. If you do have them rebuilt or replaced, make sure to order new crush washers that go in the injector bores to prevent a leak afterward

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you done an oil/filter change yet ? Some motors like one oil over another just a thought . I have been using Mobil Delvac or Chevron Delo in 15W40 and my 330 has a very slight haze until warmed up . It may be normal , it may be the oil or it may be the injectors . I think my next oil change I will try Rotella synthetic and see what if anything that does .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts