Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 332 diesel. It will run fine for about 1-1.5hrs and then it looses power. Stop cutting and power returns, then cuts out again. Gets progressively worse. I cleaned Tank, cleaned the pickup screen in the tank, replaced fuel and air filters.

· Registered
311 Posts
Next time it happens, loosen the fuel cap slowly. If you hear air sucking into the tank, then the tank air vent is clogged. If it's clogged, this creates a vacuum in the tank that causes fuel starvation.

Another possibility is the fuel pick-up line itself (not just the screen). They are known to fail.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
Your fuel pump could be on the way out

Next time when it starts to happen turn it off and take fuel line off from filiter and connect to a 2 liter bottle about 2 feet high and see if you still get the right flow.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally had a chance to revisit. I removed fuel cap, no sucking. I removed the fuel line in the input side of the filter, turned the key on. I could hear the pump making a clicking sound and a little fuel came out then stopped. I am thinking fuel should come out of the line as long as the key is on. That being true it looks like a bad fuel pump. I priced $200. Is there anything else I should do to verify fuel pump?

· Registered
311 Posts
The fuel cap test would only work when the problem occurs. If you just walked out to the tractor in the barn and removed the cap, that wouldn't tell us anything. If the tank vent is partly blocked, it takes a while of operation for vacuum to develop. The time to test is when the engine is losing power and stalling.

If that's how you tested it, then good we can eliminate that possibility.

I don't know if the electric fuel pump is supposed to operate continuously or just for a few seconds at start-up. That would be something to ascertain before replacing the pump, especially given the price!

· Registered
73 Posts
Bob, unless you want to use john deere, I went to auto zone and picked up a diesel fuel pump for about $60, works great on my 332! you'll only have to change your positive and ground connectors to but splices. 1 minute fix, bolts holes and everything lines up perfect!

· Registered
5,084 Posts
pump should always run, you should have 12 v at the pump all the time when key is on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.