Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1977 JD 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I can't make up my mind if I'd like the yellow bucket better if it was black. Kinda like deciding if I want black cherry or chocolate ice cream. Impossible to make the wrong choice.
Yea tough choice, but I painted it as it was coming out of the factory. This particular machine came from a Deere dealer when ordered new with the exact colors pictured. Iv seen brantly loaders and backhoes painted the gold/brown color ( I assume factory colors from brantly ) this set up was order from a John Deere dealer and sold under deeres sales department as 430 backhoe. So i guess deere factory ordered it from Brantly and painted it the way you see it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, if you use it, they all turn the same color. If you don't, it will take a big fireplace and mantel to display it.

·
Super Moderator
4,125 Posts
I can't make up my mind if I'd like the yellow bucket better if it was black. Kinda like deciding if I want black cherry or chocolate ice cream. Impossible to make the wrong choice.
Easy choice for me. Black cherry ice cream for me.

Reactions: army

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I pig out on black cherries the minute they're in season. I go full tilt right away. No taking it easy at first to get used to them again. I probably should stash some toilet paper in my pocket. :rolleyes: :D

Easy choice for me. Black cherry ice cream for me.

• Wow
Reactions: reson4

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I didn't know the Deere version had yellow buckets when new. I had a Brantly loader on my 400 for a while. Sandblasted everything then did the bucket black and the rest green. No idea if it was correct but I really liked that combo. Here it is when I got home from a road trip to Motown to pick it up from a WFM member. Paid $900. Was in good working order.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Did most of the work in my outdoor blast and paint booth.
Sky Cloud Grass Outdoor furniture Table

All done. Then about a year later I sold it for $1,600. This is the point where I usually bang my head on something. (Edit: I sold the loader for $1600, no tractor with it).
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Yea tough choice, but I painted it as it was coming out of the factory. This particular machine came from a Deere dealer when ordered new with the exact colors pictured. Iv seen brantly loaders and backhoes painted the gold/brown color ( I assume factory colors from brantly ) this set up was order from a John Deere dealer and sold under deeres sales department as 430 backhoe. So i guess deere factory ordered it from Brantly and painted it the way you see it

·
Registered
1977 JD 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I didn't know the Deere version had yellow buckets when new. I had a Brantly loader on my 400 for a while. Sandblasted everything then did the bucket black and the rest green. No idea if it was correct but I really liked that combo. Here it is when I got home from a road trip to Motown to pick it up from a WFM member. Paid $900. Was in good working order.
View attachment 275259

View attachment 275260

All done. Then about a year later I sold it for $1,600 (this is the point where I usually bang my head on something).
View attachment 275261
View attachment 275259

View attachment 275260

All done. Then about a year later I sold it for $1,600 (this is the point where I usually bang my head on something).
View attachment 275261
Nice fine! Looks in nice shape! I’m still trying to find out exactly where Brantly painted them black and Deere painted them yellow. Iv experience both and seen them black from the factory or yellow. My particular machine like I said came from the factory as you see it. When I removed the Hoe and subframe you can see where plates have been bolted together since new and shiny green paint was exposed , so it definitely came from the factory green. As for the buckets I knew mine in particular came yellow , when I stated sandblasting it you can see the layer of yellow over the years. Very interesting. Maybe if someone purchase the complete package back in the day it came matching as you see it? Would love to know more from WFM members !

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Harold Goff or David Dunbar might know. My Brantly had the rear support braces cut off. Thought about making a set but they didn't really seem necessary. We had a WFM member from the east US coast who would be a good one to test that theory. His name is Alan and he worked his 400's like nobody else. Only black sheeper I know of to shatter a 400 axle. He's a good guy. Too bad he doesn't post any more.

If you look at the 2nd pic I posted you can see the right loader arm has a bit of a bend. Was there when I got it. It didn't bother me at all if I didn't look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
For what it is worth, my Brantly loader/backhoe has a gold color under the green. The buckets are black. I have no idea if the green came from a dealer or a previous owner.
Harold

Reactions: army

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just found this thread for steel lines. Sorry to post this late. It seems you are in N.J., but here is a place in North Central In. that can make these for you.
Oyler Machine Shop
2602 west In 218
Delphi, Indiana 46923
Phone # 574-686-2100
They made me the brake lines for a Dino Ferrari including the rubber lines for a fraction of the cost from the factory. They looked exactly like stock. No, It wasn't mine, just a customer car. Hope this helps.
Jim.

·
Registered
1977 JD 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just found this thread for steel lines. Sorry to post this late. It seems you are in N.J., but here is a place in North Central In. that can make these for you.
Oyler Machine Shop
2602 west In 218
Delphi, Indiana 46923
Phone # 574-686-2100
They made me the brake lines for a Dino Ferrari including the rubber lines for a fraction of the cost from the factory. They looked exactly like stock. No, It wasn't mine, just a customer car. Hope this helps.
Jim.
thanks Jim I really appreciate it, I’ll give them call! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Years ago on WFM, we had a member named Richard Chuckry. He had some gallery pictures of a Brantly backhoe which I think he owned for a while. It looks like it was made to fit a 400. I saved those pictures. It looks kinda golden color.

Wood Helmet Art Natural material Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
1977 JD 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Years ago on WFM, we had a member named Richard Chuckry. He had some gallery pictures of a Brantly backhoe which I think he owned for a while. It looks like it was made to fit a 400. I saved those pictures. It looks kinda golden color.

View attachment 275379

View attachment 275380
Thanks for the pictures! I know brantly parts were in fact painted a gold/brown or somewhere around that color. I would like to know what the original color was called.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Richard is a really good guy and a talented fabricator. Shame he isn't on WFM anymore.

View attachment 275379

View attachment 275380

·
Registered
199 Posts
Was his screen name Richardc?. Because his profile say "banned".

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Was his screen name Richardc?. Because his profile say "banned".
I don't remember his screen name, but I really doubt that he was banned. He is certainly one of the good guys. I bought a pair of starter weights from him once, and he even delivered them.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Yah no way he was banned. He shipped me a really good 212 hood one time and wouldn't accept anything for it. He said just pay the shipping. Pretty hard not to like a guy who does that.

I don't remember his screen name, but I really doubt that he was banned. He is certainly one of the good guys. I bought a pair of starter weights from him once, and he even delivered them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow! Thank you guys for all your post! I’m new to this form and I’m sorry i did not join sooner but only recently found out about this. I really appreciate all the support! As for the lines, there are no crazy bends, I know the tubes look like that but I guess over the years they have been bent up for whatever reason. The only tubes that have a curve in them is the ones pictured because they follow the loader arms. The bends I can do with no problem. Iv been to almost every hydraulic shop near me and no one can replicate my lines. I guess no one does steel tube work. I have reached out to companies all over the States and most of them can’t do them or they want hundreds made at a time. I do believe someone said about A/C soldering? I’m most definitely sure that is correct, I do not see any build up of brazing. The joints are clean almost as if they just snapped together of course I know that is not the case. I ordered some 3/8 tubing and gonna try to make the lines myself. My question is I would just heat the ends and the fittings should slide off? Also when I solder them back on what do I use for solder? Is it the same as plumbing or electrical work?? Thanks guys!!
You can tig braze with high strength rod or silver solder, not tin/lead solder. i dont know about heating to remove, might overheat the fittings? find a good welder thats done this before.
All the best

41 - 60 of 65 Posts