Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Deere 400 wheel
weights. I have the Fronts, Rear starters and two additional finishing weights. Asking $600.00

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
What is a PM?
A PM is a private message to one person kinda like an email but it uses the WFM system.
If you click on the. square box, there is the word message in the lower right. That is how you send a message to an individual. A post everyone can see.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Just what I was looking for. But only need one starter weight.

Question ... What is the correct way to install these weights? There is no installation instructions and parts catalog shows goofy arrangement. I have a set I will be installing on a 332 with loader.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The starter weight bolts thread directly into the axle hub. I believe 400's are the only ones like that.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Do you mean you remove the 5 lug bolts and replace them with the (5) 1/2" UNC x 5 1/2" bolts called out in parts catalog? I like the sound of that. Two carriage bolts thru the square holes in the rim seems lightweight. Grade 5 bolts?

Let me know if first responses do not pan out. I am very interested and can pick them up at your location.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I need to do some measuring. Too heavy to set in place and see how it bolts up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My understanding is that the starter weights are almost the same for a 400 as the other 400 series except that the 420/430 (and probably others) have a dimple in the back side to allow for the axle nut. The starters on a 400 do bolt to the large wheel hub and have a flat face inside a spacer ring on the back. With the dimple, they would be mounted through the auxiliary wheel holes on non-400's. We need to see a picture of the back side of the starter weights to confirm suitability. That's clear as mud.

Never mind the starter weight on the right. The weight on the left does not have the relief in the center for the axle nut on non-400 machines. The other pic is how the weight bolts up to the 400 hub.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Grossyman1, requesting permission to continue this conversation. It may answer questions for one the responders to your Ad concerning mounting.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
the 400 rear axle rim mounting flange is significantly larger diameter than other models. The bolted installation shown in post #11 is significantly different on later models. I have sent you photos in a PM ... Gabby

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Have you and DrHoho99 agreed on sale terms yet? I am still interested and would pick up at your location ... Thanks Gabby

Can you roll one of the starter weights over and give us a shot of the back side?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, Even if weights are sold. Could you show us, JD 400 owners, the back side of the starter weight. For reference

Thank You in advance

winky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts