Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
picked up a jd 420 for 80$ and repowered with a harbor freight predator 670 engine, very happy with the results

price break down

john deere 420 $80 (wife found it on face book)
predator 670 $500 (ebay)
gallon of hydrualic oil $15 (osborne's)
belts $32 (tractor supply)
spring $4 (tractor supply)

custom fab work

2" longer hyd drive shaft
1-7/16 to 1" pto bushing (end up not using it)
3 to 4 bolt adapter ( ended up not using it)
stainless steel exhaust

1" pto clutch

once i got the 420 home i was impressed on how well of a shape it was in, think it is a 1990 model paint is on very good condition, deck is in very good shape too

started looking for replacement motors on line, found a couple of good places but was not willing to pay 1800$, thought about rebuilding the onan, but not my strong suit. saw a video on youtube with hondas and briggs, on one with a predator one, not very detailed though.

was going to pick a new motor at harbor freight for 699$ plus tax but they did not have one in stock, found one on ebay for 600$ or best offer, offered 500$ and i got it with free shipping, only issue no air filter or cover

five days later fedex delivered it

pulled all all front off and sat motor in place and went from there

raised motor 1" with square tubing but ended up using 1-1/2" square tubing

muffler sat 3" higher than the hood support

cut muffler curbed tubes and welded muffler them straight which dropped it down about 3-1/2", had to notch the top apart of the hood support, could not bring muffler any lower would be too close to pto belt and thought i would over heat the belts

made an adapter to go from 4 bolt to 3 bolt on the fly wheel but did not work, bolt pattern to close, just drilled 3 new holes on the drive shaft flange and end up making the shaft 2" longer

machined a bushing 1-7/16" to 1" to use the original pto(end up burning up some how) had another one with a 1" hole that i end up using, worked, had to make a bracket to keep it in place since it was a triangle base one with not bolt holes to bolt it down to motor

test drove it everything worked, still had the predator set up the way it came out of the box

removed the jd computer box??? and spent the next day about 4 hours rewiring it, started by just powering it up with the jd ignition and them worked backwards on the safetys (neutral and pto) after that the pto wiring to only work with the key on, need to finish up the lights and wire the seat to kill the pto (dead man switch)

had to figure out how to make my round air filter seal up against square air filter on the predator, metal would of being to time consuming so a bucket fit the bill just right ( buddy gave me crap about the bucket, but functional) can not tell now that it is painted flat black

tractor works good, no issues, everything fitted nicely in engine compartment mowed 2 acres this past week with no issues besides, burning up the original pto clutch and a couple of belts, tension was not moving freely and spring was missing, overall very happy with the end result and the amount of money I put into it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
converted my electric pto to a manual one, working the bugs out, mowed acre today with out any major issues, before I started I added an hour meter and a digital volt meter to my john deere 420 with a 670 predator, now i can track my hours on my new motor and I like the idea of having a visual on the volts the battery is putting out, stayed at about 13.5 when i was mowing

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I hope we get to see some pics

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got a couple of pictures on my gallery will take more detailed pictures i ran stainless steel tubing along tractor and engine ran cable throough it and set a mounting poing above tensioner need a return spring to complete it out. a clutch cable would work too but didnt want to wait for one

·
Super Moderator
4,068 Posts
We like pictures in the posts. We want to see as we are reading. I have seen pictures of other things in some people's photo bucket or what ever it was. Distracting to say the least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts