Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, i am new to the forum.

I'm currently in the process of finding a new but old tractor. I've been doing a lot of research and am having a hard time decide whether i should buy a 430 or a 455. I have found multiple machines with fairly low hours. I will be using it to cut about 4 acres of grass, plow snow with a front blade, and eventually get a 3-PT set up to grade my drive way and level some dirt. My Dad has a 430 and its an amazing tractor, But being young and looking to keep whatever i buy for along time. My concern is getting replacement parts over time.

I've read just about every 430 vs 455 discussion on the web but they are older posts.

The Differences i have found between the 430 vs 455 is

3 Hydro controls
Fwd/Rev on dash
20 HP
Longer nose
540 PTO

2 hydro control
Foot pedal Fwd/Rev
2000 PTO
Shorter Nose with more plastic
22HP

Any help/guidance I can get on making this next investment would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Welcome to WFM!

You have the pto speeds reversed between the 430 and 455.

430 has electric pto clutches. 455 has a hydraulic pto of some kind, I'm not familiar with it.

455 would be much better if you ever want to put a loader on it, because of the longer nose on the 430 and the better onboard hydraulics of the 455.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently bought a 445 which is essentially the same as the 455, except it's got a gas engine vs. the diesel. What I can tell you is if you want a 540 rear PTO it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. My 445 was an early one and required a wiring harness that's no longer available to work as designed. If you have a later model 455 the PTO wiring is mostly built in to the stock harness, only requiring the PTO Module, which is still available, and a PTO jumper wire which may still be available. If you can find one with the rear PTO already installed, grab it! Loaders are plentiful, if not expensive, and Ruegg makes a beautiful 3-Pt hitch, both in CAT 0 and CAT1, and for much less than JD sold them for. Other parts seem fairly plentiful, however, so if it's in good shape you should get a long life out of it.

The 430 is an even older vintage, so I would imagine things would be even more scarce, but not having looked I'm only speculating. Best of luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. Another question is whats the difference between the 455 2 hydro vs 3 hydro 430? I'm assuming the 430 with 3 is one hydro for the front, 1 for the deck, and one for the rear? How will it work for the 455 with a front blade on it? Like moving it left right and up down?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
IIRC 430 would have two levers for the front ports and one for the deck. Not sure if one port is shared for the deck/3pt or if one from front/3pt. The foot operated fwd/rev will be much more user friendly if/when loader duties are performed.one hand to steer one hand controlls loader valves and one foot for forward and reverse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also happened to find a 455 with 60" deck, comes with front blade, and also the 3 bag material collection system for a pretty good price. Does the material collection system do a pretty good job? Its the one with the seperate motor coming off the deck that feeds 3 bags off the back.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Does the 455 have the 2 spd locking transaxle like the 430 and is it build to last like that of the 430

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have owned many 300 Series tractors and the biggest negative is the hand hydro control. The 420 and 430 are the same just a bigger tractor.

The foot pedal hydro control is something I will never buy a tractor without that feature. I have owned six 455's and considered them to be very good, until
I needed to replace the driveshaft on a 455 and found out that it was NLA (No Longer Available). I could not find a new or used one anywhere. Finally I was able get a replacement cross kit to repair it. JD had no clue what I needed.

I bought an X-495 because it is newer. Parts availability will be better than the 455. The main reason to look at the X-495 is that the price is about the same as 430 and 455 models? I bought my X-495 for $2600. It needed some work which was around $300, but was a real bargain. The other reason is availability. I rarely see a 430 or 455 for sale while the X-495 is more plentiful.

I recently bought a 2006 X-740, which is the replacement for the X-495, for $4000. That was from a dealer on Machine Finder. This was LESS than what the 2 430's were selling for.

430 made from 1984 - 1992 2 for sale on Machine Finder

455 made from 1992 - 2001 8 for sale on Machine Finder

X-495 made from 2002 - 2005 23 for sale on Machine Finder

X-740 made from 2006 - 2012 26 for sale on Machine Finder

Machine Finder is a JD dealer site which gives me a good idea of the going prices and availability for equipment. If I were you, I would broaden your options to include the X-495 or even the X-740. You may get lucky like I did. :lol:

But that is just my opinion,

George of Buford

·
Registered
571 Posts
My 455 with a 60” deck is the bahaia king. I’m getting close to 2 acres of level open field cut in 45 min. If I skip a week or two the taller grass does not slow it down. The foot control is a nice feature but I don’t mind the hand control on my 322. I think the deck on the 455 is what makes it cut the way it does. With a 4xx series you also have aws as an option which the 430 is only 2WS

·
Registered
1 Posts
The hydrostatic foot controls of my 425 were much easier for me to use than the hand control on my 314. My wife, given that she grew up using late 1960s Case 220 and 222 mowers (with hand control), had no problems with the hand control on our older JD. Just depends what you are used to.

However, in my opinion, a big advantage of the 425/445/455 series over the 420/430 series is that the mower decks for the 425/445/455 use a drive shaft to transmit power to the deck rather than belts. In my experience, this makes it easier to install/remove the decks. I am guessing that this will be factor given that you are intending to plow snow and will probably want to remove the deck to do so.

BTW, I owned a 425 with a 60" deck, two-way snow blade, 3 PT hitch, and 540 PTO. I had forks custom fabricated for my 3 pt hitch in order to use the tractor as a fork lift. I used the PTO to drive a fertilizer spreader and a small post hole auger. It was a great tractor and I made a huge mistake in trading it for a commercial grade ZTR mower.

Several years later I redeemed myself by trading the ZTR for an x475 with a 60" deck, model 45 loader, and power flow bagger system. Have the 3 PT hitch parts, but haven't had the need to take off the power flow bagger in order to install the 3 PT hitch. No longer have a need for the post hole auger or fertilizer spreader, so I haven't installed 540 PTO. The model 45 loader is incredible. Easy on/off, relatively compact to store, and capable enough for my needs. If you can find one (it took me YEARS to find one at a decent price), I highly recommend it. The power flow bagger is great for me, as I like to use my clippings as ground cover, particularly in my wooded areas. The bagger does make the tractor considerably wider and longer, so it is tougher to mow in tight quarters or on slopes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi everyone.
i am looking at 455 to maybe purchase. 1997 deisel with low hours. has a 54 in cutting deck. how hard is it to find a snow thrower for this for this tractor. what would be the price of a snow thrower--- guess. what else would be needed to make this happen?
tom schisler- 410-804-3886

·
Registered
748 Posts
420-430 also use a driveshaft to run the 60" Decks, to update a comment already made. Snow throwers are hard to find for a reasonable price.
420-430 in some options do not use a Quick Hitch, making snow thrower somewhat cheaper. However, a 430 requires a PTO extension and a frame extension to mount a snow thrower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well How did I do?

***Update***

I recently Bought a 95 JD 455 with around 1000 hours for $4800. The tractor is in near perfect condition.
It Came With
-60" Deck with new spindles and Blades
-54" Front Blade with quik mount
-3 bag power pak MCS with Kawasaki 6 Hp motor.
-Has heavy duty 40 amp alternator

I was wondering if I got a good deal?

With the 60" cut, It cut my mowing time from 4 1/2 hours down to 2 1/2 hours for 3 acres.

The only issue with the tractor is the Diff lock seal on the trans is leaking. The guy gave me the new seal to install.

Does anyone have experience or tips/tricks replacing the seal? From what I've seen, you have to drop the trans axle. Is that the only way to replace the seal?

Thanks for any insight

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would remove the transaxle to replace the seal but remove the pan and see if the seal popped out as well as verify that’s the source first. It’s not hard
at all to remove the transaxle. I use the small furniture dolly from harbor freight and a few blocks of wood to lower the trans on.

1BEF6F1C-3F37-4974-AC0A-5755F2BDA83F.jpg

That tractor and deck are in very good shape. I would change all the filters and fluids to build a maintenance baseline.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yes! You got a great deal for all of it. Fixing the leak, either you can do it or have a dealer do it. I would get all the manuals for all of the equipment also (operators, TMs (Technical Manual), CTMs (Companion Technical Manual usually covers engines) and PCs (Parts Catalog))

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi everyone.
i am looking at 455 to maybe purchase. 1997 deisel with low hours. has a 54 in cutting deck. how hard is it to find a snow thrower for this for this tractor. what would be the price of a snow thrower--- guess. what else would be needed to make this happen?
tom schisler- 410-804-3886
Any Quick Hitch Compatible Snow Blower will fit, the only differences are the drive shaft and up-stop. I transferred my 47" snow blower from my 445 to my 1026R with only a drive shaft change and extending the hydraulic hoses oh and the up-stop. I can transfer it back anytime as I kept the old 445 parts. I like using the 54" blade on the 445 and the snow blower on the 1026R.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Pretty good deal - it's all about condition, and it looks like you got a good one! The plastic hood and particularly the side panels are often trashed on older 4x5 series. I would recommend doing a full service unless you know it was done recently, and also consider replacing the spring in the oil pressure regulator - they tend to fatigue over time and cause a drop in oil pressure.

Do you bag the grass on the 3 acres? I say that because if you switch to mulching or simple side discharge, you will save even more time and have healthier grass that needs less fertilizing. And you could sell the bagging setup to fund your snowblower.

You can check the parts compatibility charts in the FAQ to see what you'll need for the 47 blower, but basically you'll need the blower with the right attachment kit, the quick hitch, and the front driveshaft and bearing. The front driveshaft and bearing can be annoying to install the first time, but there's a trick to it - post back if you need help.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts