Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 john deere 430 now........ one i am having a issue with 1988 430 the fuel solenoid previous owner wires the solenoid open to run and reliece wire to stop .if i turn the key on the sileniod will open for a few seciods then close .so i have to wire it open to run .. any info would be helpfull before i dig into issue .also the glow plug does not light up on dash unless i put the key to test.... hard to start if cold but once running it runs great . i love the diesal engines they are a real step up from air cooled onans

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Most likely you will need to replace the fuel solenoid and the glow plug module. First test to see if you have voltage to the glow plugs with the key in run position. If not bad module (having checked fuses/circuit breakers/fusible links, wiring, module socket).
Which fuel solenoid do you have 2 or 3 wire?

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
It does sound like the "hold open" winding of the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad -- even though the "pull-in" winding is working as it should. You cannot power the pull-in winding full time as it draws too much current and will burn out from the heat it self-generates.... BRG is correct above that the solenoid needs to be replaced.

The glow plug control module may also be bad from your description. Just know that the plugs and the dash lamp are driven separately. The glow plugs are a heavy draw on the battery, so if the battery voltage gets below 10.5 volts during their cycle starting may be difficult. If the battery voltage does not drop at all, the control relay may not be functioning...

Chuck

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
solenoid was like 180 and a manual cable for it from a JD 330 is like 30 bucks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have 4 john deere 430 now........ one i am having a issue with 1988 430 the fuel solenoid previous owner wires the solenoid open to run and reliece wire to stop .if i turn the key on the sileniod will open for a few seciods then close .so i have to wire it open to run .. any info would be helpfull before i dig into issue .also the glow plug does not light up on dash unless i put the key to test.... hard to start if cold but once running it runs great . i love the diesal engines they are a real step up from air cooled onans
update on tractor glowplugs were bad no ohms ..and fuel cylinoid was bad 3 wire black to white .3 ohms black to red open line ... so replaced glow plugs and silinoid working great .fires right up and stays running on to other things thanks for all the help and info guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts