Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,016 Posts
I would fail miserably guessing people's weight at the circus but it looks like about 500 lbs (?) of suitcase and wheel weights on that 430 plus whatever the cab is. I'd guess a couple hundred pounds for that. Excellent ballast and weight distribution too. You and Temp have enough JD toys to qualify as obsessive-compulsive, which I heartily approve of I might add.

ADDED SKIES TO THE FRONT OF A JOHN DEERE 47 SNOW BLOWER ON A 430 View attachment 286506

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would fail miserably guessing people's weight at the circus but it looks like about 500 lbs (?) of suitcase and wheel weights on that 430 plus whatever the cab is. I'd guess a couple hundred pounds for that. Excellent ballast and weight distribution too. You and Temp have enough JD toys to qualify as obsessive-compulsive, which I heartily approve of I might add.
COZY CAB IS SUPER HEAVY LIKE 500 LBS . TAKES 4 PEOPLE TO LIFT IT STRIPPED .NO DOORS AND GLASS REMOVED

· Registered
9,016 Posts
Edited for a typo..

That is pretty heavy. My brother has the same cab as your's on his 420. It's sturdier than the old Cozy cab on my 400. Mine is only a couple hundred lbs with the doors on. I have to be careful if I have the doors off that I don't twist the cab frame working the front blade on uneven ground.

· Registered
9,016 Posts
Mine with the doors and front lower glass removed. Actually it's plexi now and doesn't weight much.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

· Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I really doubt that Cozy Cab enclosure is even close to 500 lbs -- as an entire 318 tractor ready to run is only 836 lbs... But they are awkward to handle/move so they seem bulkier for sure.

Chuck

· Registered
1,377 Posts
I think it's in the upper 3s maybe 400lbs. I have the same one on my 322. They are very heavy and a PITA to move around. A hoist is your friend. I think i have a document that lists it around 400.

Steve, your custom shoes will work great. Larger foot print spreads the load out. That 47" weights in at 380lbs. When i ran that unit, i installed large front shoes like yours except kn the inside. I didn't want a wider footprint. I also did all mine in poly to protect a neighbors brick driveway.

· Registered
9,016 Posts
My brother has the same blower as yours on his 420. Exact same cab as you too. He runs a couple trailer tongue jacks with wheels on the sides of the tub so it doesn't dig in but the wheels chatter and shake quite a bit. I'd personally rather have shoes on it like you do. I gave him a gnarly pair of 26x10-12's Mudlites for the back and he runs 100 lbs of wheel weights. He says he never has any serious traction issues so his cab has gotta weigh quite a bit more than my old Cozy cab does. The doors on his cab and yours are the same as mine so the weight difference must be all in the frame, steel panels and roof. Pretty sure the glass on his/your cab weighs more than mine too. I run with no back window and the lower windshield is plexi now, which would add up to around 50 lbs or so (?).

I made these bolt-on shoes for my model 50 thrower. They'd work really good on paved driveways or frozen hard packed gravel but not as good on my 3/4" clean crushed stone driveway. They leave 4" wide by a half inch or so deep ruts. Not a big deal really but enough that I run 10" x 1.5" solid rubber 'training wheels' instead. Part of the reason is the smaller contact patch creates less drag (friction) with the stone than the shoes do. Around 32 sq inches for the shoes vs about 8 sq inches for the wheels. The wheels rolling along is also a factor. Only takes about 10 minutes to put the shoes on though and I wouldn't hesitate to use them if I thought I needed to. Either way is a heck of a lot better than chucking stones all over the lawn. I just posted a pic of these shoes elsewhere. Sorry for the repetition.
Wood Gas Audio equipment Flooring Gadget

1 - 11 of 11 Posts