Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a nice running John Deere F915 which has a few problems that I'd like to try to overcome now that I have some more spare time than usual lately. I bought this one the way it is, and basically it cuts great so I put up with the quirks.

The PO used to just connect a wire to the starter red lead and connect it to the glow plugs for a few seconds when cold. I do the same currently, and it works just fine. I noted that a lot of the wiring has been patched up on this one. Also, the PO bypassed the PTO lever, which now just runs off a toggle on the dash. I've included some pictures of the existing wiring.

Another thing is that it does not charge. I installed a new alternator a while back but that didn't work. I know that the alternator is putting current out, but beyond that no luck. I just charge the battery once a week or so currently, but I would really like to get it back to the way that it should be.

Finally, there is what looks like a relay of some sort attached to the back of the coolant overflow reservoir that has clearly been partly bypassed or rendered inoperative. What is it and should I put it back into service to fix any of the aforementioned issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm not really familiar with that model, but unfortunately, it looks like someone really butchered the wiring. All those crimps (and obviously, the electrical tape) are not the way Deere did it. My guess is the previous owner tried to jumper around a minor problem, but did not really understand how everything worked, so just kept making it worse and worse.

The only real way to bring it back would be to get a copy of the service manual, and trace each circuit and repair it. Alternatively, Deere may still sell a full wiring harness for that machine, although I am sure it is expensive. Either way, it's a huge job.

Maybe start by fixing the charging circuit, and see how it goes? With the service manual, I would hope that's not too complicated. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts