Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future I am planning to paint with the help of a friend my 318. I went to a local automotive paint supplier to inquire about paint and he suggested using a product made by SEM called Rust Shield #3818 John Deere Green along with a SEM product 38008 Hardener & Gloss Enhancher.

My question is: with all the great pictures in the Gallery what suggestions regarding paint products do the WFM Members have?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It's up to the owner; if you want an automotive paint job, and are willing to pay the price, that type finish is fine. Personally, I do my own painting with JD "off the shelf" paint, as I am too "tight" to pay the price for the auto motive coatings and I can touch up or redo easier when necessary.

I am not criticising the automotive coatings or those who use them, I just prefer the JD paints & am not experienced enough to go to that much expense (just personal preference).

As for the hardener, I only use it when I'm painting outside as that stuff can be very hazardous without the proper (expensive) protective gear.

JMHO ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
139 Posts
A third vote for 'off the shelf' JD paint which I purchase at Fleet Farm for $8.99 per quart. I do mix hardener with it and shoot clear coat over it after the paint has fully cured and wet sanded with 1000 grit. It is a modified 2 stage application for lack of a better term. I have only been doing this for a year or so, so I can not tell you how it will hold up shine wise for longevity. They all look great still and sure is a lot cheaper than a base coat/clear coat application.
A third JMHO.
Kent

·
Registered
139 Posts
Scooter:
My oldest paint shoot was my 420 loader tractor in June of 08. I had the bucket up high last winter with a full load of fire wood to dump in my pickup truck and a piece fell out of the bucket back down onto my hood. After I changed my underwear I checked the hood, no crack, no chip, as good as before I was so stupid to have done that. I really thought at least it would have messed up the paint, at worst broken the hood. So far so good.

Kent

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
A close friend of mine had a tractor p[ainted at a body shop that looked good. Too good. It wasn't even right to look that good. The real problem was the paint. It was the best stuff you could buy but the wrong color. Too much of a blue tone.

I took my tractor in to the same shop and insisted the use of John Deere green! I was told "that paint isn't any good" But he used it and it was just too nice. I mean like, you spent way more than what it is worth nice. It has clear coat over the JD green.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.