Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this because I am also posing a few questions. I found two tractors that interested me at a local junk yard today... one is a john deere 60, and the other is a wheel horse with a possible tecumseh v series engine in it.... Both of them turned over fine, with compression, but the JD was missing most of the carb. would the wheel horse have a v-70? or a vh-70? I looked for any markings... but couldn't find any.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nice find, I wish I could find similar toys in my part of the world. From your pictures it looks if the carb is only missing the air filter cover and float bowl. I suspect that you will be able to buy these and all else you may need to fix it up. Try a request in the Classified, Wanted section.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Jesse, easiest way to determine a V from a VH is the V has an aluminum block and the VH has a cast iron block. Scrape a little paint with your pocket knife. The white paint and the flywheel cover on the 60 would be suspect. I don't know a good way to determine the horsepower except pulling the head and measuring the bore and stroke.
The V series came in 5, 6, and 7HP and look alike. Does the 60 have an original PTO clutch on it now?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not buy these, I just was home from college this weekend and looked around... But yes the so has everything except for the bottom half of the carb. I am thinking in a few weeks, I may go back and make him a offer on the engine out of the wheel horse. it would serve to be good parts for my 60 if i ever needed them. Also, on the subject of the 60 in the picture, I'm 90% sure those are home-made weights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.