Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Working on a k181 out of a 110 and the throttle shaft is quite worn as well as the carb itself where the shaft rides. Just curious if anyone has made their own bushings and turned the shaft down since the parts are nla and what is available is expensive. Just wondered if anyone on here decided to just rebush it themselves.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Jeff,
As you are probably aware, the original K181 Carter model 22 carb throttle shaft is about 0.214" diameter, whereas the bigger K series carbs are 1/4" diameter. So, the Hillman 58087 1/4" washers will not work to bush the model 22 counter bore. The model 22 takes a bushing with dimensions of about: 0.408" od, 0.216" id, and 1/8" thick. This is the size brass (or bronze) bushings I bought many years ago (no longer available), and I have not found another source. Maybe a forum member knows a source other than turning them yourself. Of course, you can always resort to buying a new off-shore built carb for $15 on that auction site.
Harold

Reactions: sashiery and jcg140

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have some k321s that could use some carb attention so that info will come in handy. Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good evening: I recently had running problems with my K301, it seemed to have several possible things wrong.. I finally decided to "bite the bullet" and buy a Chinese carb from Ama.... for around 15 or 20 dollars. The carb worked ok and has run my lawn/garden tractor to finish the mowing season. (I have seen Kohler's bushing procedure in their book; looks like too much work when you can buy a whole carb cheap. HOWEVER, the throttle linkage may have to be altered somewhat to work well).

·
Registered
50 Posts
While not a proper repair, I have used waxed dental floss or tape to keep the shaft from wobbling so much it wouldn't idle. A few snug turns of floss or tape on the shaft at the body, tie it off and clip the excess. do both sides. The engine vacuum will keep it pulled in tight, and the wax will keep it from binding. The tape seems to work best. Not recommended on spring return throttles!

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is really easy to put a oiled bronze bushing in. Take the throttle plate off pull the throttle shaft out. Bore the area to 3/8 press and pin the bushing in and put it back together. Easy as pie and it is a good repair

1 - 13 of 13 Posts