Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
( just had my K181 worked on. He put replaced carb, piston, rod, rings, and cleaned off the top of the valves. I got it installed yesterday and started it and everything went good for a while then you could see smoke coming from the little hole in valve cover and you started hearing a slight squeal that would come and go. When I killed it it seemed very hot so I let it cool down and now when I try to start it the engine only turns about 1/2 turn then stops.When it stops it is either on the magnet or just oppsite of it. If you hit the key again it does the same thing again. If you pull the plug it spins fine and seems to have very good compression. I charged the battery all night and this morning it's still doing the same thing also checked the battery at work with a battery tester and it say good with 440CCA. Never had this issues till now. Hopefully someone will have some ideas to share. Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Too much compression? I'm not sure but I wonder if this engine is supposed to have an automatic compression release that is now not functioning

·
Registered
18 Posts
That squeal does not sound good. Did you check the oil? You might drain a bit out to see if it has visible metallic particles in it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
A few years ago I had a Kohler 12hp with a starter generator that would not go past top dead center because of a non working compression release. Ended up changing the camshaft

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That squeal does not sound good. Did you check the oil? You might drain a bit out to see if it has visible metallic particles in it.
yes sir it's full of oil as this was the first time it was started after having new piston, rod & rings installed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few years ago I had a Kohler 12hp with a starter generator that would not go past top dead center because of a non working compression release. Ended up changing the camshaft
any idea what made it stop working Ed?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Here's a pic of a K181 camshaft. The larger K models look very much the same. That tiny "hair" spring can break or somehow pop off which will make the compression release not work. The larger K series blocks have a removable cover over part of the cam gear. This is nice to be able to look at that spring and the weights to see if they are intact. The smaller K181, and I think all models below that, do not have a removable cover. Have to halfway dismantle them just to look.
My guess is, that spring is off. The squeak? I don't know either. Maybe the cam is shimmed too tight, or it just might be something harmless, such as the starter belt. Best advice is to pull the engine (hate to say that) and check it out. Hope it is an easy fix!

tommyhawk

67 cam 1.JPG

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
chas, tell us more about the tractor or other machine this K181 is used in. Does it use a starter generator? Does it use the battery/coil or magneto ignition system? How old is it?
After re-reading your first post, the intermittent squeal seems to have started after the engine had run for a while. How long did it run? Do you think it did over heat?
Roger's question about the rod would be very important to investigate. If the rod is about to seize, the engine can suffer significant damage if you can get it started again.
Interesting problem. We're here to help if we can.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chas, tell us more about the tractor or other machine this K181 is used in. Does it use a starter generator? Does it use the battery/coil or magneto ignition system? How old is it?
After re-reading your first post, the intermittent squeal seems to have started after the engine had run for a while. How long did it run? Do you think it did over heat?
Roger's question about the rod would be very important to investigate. If the rod is about to seize, the engine can suffer significant damage if you can get it started again.
Interesting problem. We're here to help if we can.

tommyhawk
It's actually not in a tractor it's in a buggie that is made out of a golf cart frame. It has a starter, no points or condenser. Just had a new piston & rings, rod and carb installed and this was the first start up. It only ran for about 3 or 4 min if that long before it started the squealing and the squeal was hit & miss. No sir it didn't restart because it would only make half a turn when trying to restart. Yesterday we were turning it by hand and when the magnet on the flywheel was about 2 inches past the coil you could hear the squel sound but 1/2 inch either way and it went away. If you take the plug out it spins with no problem. I'm open for ideas. The guy that put everything in is looking at it trying to figure out whats going on. Thanks for responding

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I think your half turn is a bad ACR, dismantle engine! Once apart, inspect crank & rod bearing surface CLOSELY. Also, inspect flywheel, magnet(s), and coil for possible contact creating the squeal. See if you can find specs for ring thicknesses and piston ring groove width. Squealing could be (??) rings moving around when piston changes direction. Dismantle and determine causes is where you are right now! Bob

Reactions: tommyhawk

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Down load the Kohler manual and then read it. Kohler will let you do that. I still think the rod is not oiling because it in wrong and have seen that on several home repair jobs while working at several dealerships. Roger

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Down load the Kohler manual and then read it. Kohler will let you do that. I still think the rod is not oiling because it in wrong and have seen that on several home repair jobs while working at several dealerships. Roger
[/QUO
I think your half turn is a bad ACR, dismantle engine! Once apart, inspect crank & rod bearing surface CLOSELY. Also, inspect flywheel, magnet(s), and coil for possible contact creating the squeal. See if you can find specs for ring thicknesses and piston ring groove width. Squealing could be (??) rings moving around when piston changes direction. Dismantle and determine causes is where you are right now! Bob
the guy said he didn't see a hole in rod but i think he saw one in the lower cup that holds the rod on the crankshaft. If you remove the plug it spins like a top. He said the small spring on the ACR is in place and he was going to see if he can adjust it some to try to tighten it up some. He is also pulling the flywheel to check the magnets while he's inside it.
Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the guy said he didn't see a hole in rod but i think he saw one in the lower cup that holds the rod on the crankshaft. If you remove the plug it spins like a top. He said the small spring on the ACR is in place and he was going to see if he can adjust it some to try to tighten it up some. He is also pulling the flywheel to check the magnets while he's inside it.
Thanks for your advise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts