Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1996 425 AWS last summer with about 1100 hrs. The hydro is leaking from multiple places, the worst appears to be from where the direction/speed control shaft goes into the hydro housing. Also a little from the PTO shaft. How hard is it to replace these seals? I'm assuming that the hydro needs to be removed from the frame, but does the hydro have to be disassembled? I've ordered a service manual but have not yet received it. Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

Kevin

·
Registered
571 Posts
Kevin,

I just replaced the speed control shaft o-rings which was fairly simple. You need to remove the hydro but that is not that difficult. I just used a pick to get the old ones out.

There are two o-rings stacked on the shaft which is really dumb. The second o-ring does not seat properly. I also added one of the o-rings I removed on the shaft to get a better seal. There is a washer and snap ring that holds the o-rings on the shaft.

Never did anything to the PTO shaft.

George of Buford

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.