Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kohler K341 that I rebuilt to put back in my nearly full restored old original 316 has a worn ring gear.
Anyone know if the ring gear is reversible?

I have read they are not reversible on the Onans and wondered it this was true for the Kohlers too
Thanks..

· Registered
5,076 Posts
can pop gear off, heat it and turn it 90 then the worn spot wont be so bad
moast are reversable but the starter gear gets beat up faster and usually the cause or wearing the ring

Reactions: army

· Registered
946 Posts
I think what knotty is telling you is that you’re not flipping it over on flywheel, you are simply taking it off, and clocking it in a different position to get away from damaged spot.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think what knotty is telling you is that you’re not flipping it over on flywheel, you are simply taking it off, and clocking it in a different position to get away from damaged spot.
Want to flip it 180 degrees, not rotate it. Cannot envision how rotating would make any difference. It is just worn on the long used bottom side with no tooth specific damage.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's an excellent point Jeeks.(y)
Because when engines stop running they tend to stop at the same point(s) because of compression. They dont stop spinning like the wheel of a bicycle.
So developing this fine thought, unlike a single kohler like mine, on a twin there are likely 2 spots on the ring it tends to rest for restart?

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Ever see an engine not start and it turns backward right before it stops turning or turn slow then "lump" forward? ....there you go.
The air cooled Kawasaki’s I often work on (fc540v) often “load up” on shut down and will stop quick and backspin. This can often lead to woodruff key wear, crank key way wear and key shear. Once the key way is worn it will tend to snap keys often. I alway recommend bringing the engine to idle before shutting off to prevent higher rpm load up. Folks love to just shut off engine at wide open. I often say “you wouldn’t floor the gas pedal on your car and shut it off, right?!!”

· Registered
235 Posts
The air cooled Kawasaki’s I often work on (fc540v) often “load up” on shut down and will stop quick and backspin. This can often lead to woodruff key wear, crank key way wear and key shear. Once the key way is worn it will tend to snap keys often. I alway recommend bringing the engine to idle before shutting off to prevent higher rpm load up. Folks love to just shut off engine at wide open. I often say “you wouldn’t floor the gas pedal on your car and shut it off, right?!!”
I dont do that, but "ok".

· Registered
5,076 Posts
not everyone knows how to use governed engines, shut off at WOT also washes away the oil in the cylinder

1 - 20 of 21 Posts