Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey Richard

I just rebuilt a k341 and took Kenny Weinnman's advice on the balance gears. He said i could leave them out so i did. Runs great (well it will after i correct the connecting rod to crankshaft clearence). Anyways for the little while that i ran the engine i couldn't notice any difference vibration wise than when the gears where in there. As far as suggestions that you asked about, don't do what i did and just put the connecting rod on the crankshaft without checking everything first. The crankshaft on mine measured within the wear tolorence but after i fired it up for the first time and heard it knock, me and another fella went back and checked the rod to crankshaft clearence with a plastigage.Even with the new conncting rod there was way to much clearence between them,even though the crankshaft was supposedly good enough to use. Go to Kohlers web site, they have a downloadable manual for these engines, thats where i got mine from.
What tractor is your engine from? Mine's a '75 300.

Jeremy

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just installed a rear pto on my 455 today and have two solenoids for rear and combo light on dash, but I have no harness on tractor to plug these in.
the harness on the 445 that the pto came from had the wires built into the tractors harness.

what can i do ????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Scott. I don't have a 455 but I did install a rear PTO kit on my x495. There was a rear PTO module that had to be installed in the dash tower on the left side of the steering column to provide a 4 pin connector in front of the left tire for the rear harness from the switches on the PTO to plug in to. This module plugs into the existing wiring harness with no other changes and provides the additional wiring needed for the rear harness. It sounds like you are missing this module. It should have been included when you bought the rear PTO kit. Did you get the John Deere installation instructions with your kit when you purchased it? I am sure someone on the site has the instructions for the 455 rear PTO installation. Maybe they will chime in and send you the instructions

·
Registered
400 Posts
I bought a whole separate tractor for the PTO and installed it on my 455
I did not get a manual or instructions
The donor tractor had wiring but it was in with the tractor harness and not able to be separated

·
Registered
182 Posts
Scott, I emailed you a copy of the installation instructions. There is a thread covering some of the information you are looking for. I'm took a quick look and didn't find it but you might try a search from the top of the forum page. Make sure you change the search options from the default of OR to AND.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Scott,
There are two versions of the 455 wiring harness and control module setup which depend on the serial number of the 455 and whether it is 2 wheel vs all wheel steer. In either case, the cable assemblies/module can be removed from the donor machine. As I recall the instructions for hooking up the wires in either the old or new versions weren't all that clear, therefore, trying to get them back to original configuration after the wiring harness is removed might be just as difficult.

1)Older version: An inline module (cable assembly has a large lump in the middle)

2)Newer vesion: cable and module are separate and the module is installed under the dash area.

When I purchased my PTO about 6 yrs ago, I ended up with an older version but my 455 is the newer version. Luckily for me, buying the new version cable and module from JD was relatively cheap ($50). Had I needed to purchase the old version, the cable at the time was $125. I finally found someone on this site that was kind enough to send me the wiring directions for the new version and I fumbled my way through it to make it work.

You might want to try this link....it lists the parts needed for both the old and new versions as well as providing a chart to help you decide which parts you will need:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

I hope this helps
TimF

·
Registered
75 Posts
Scott,
By coincidence, I ran across an explanation of the PTO versions on an auction site this morning. It talks to the changes between the older version (BM17329) and the new version (BM18415) and only lists the older version cable harness as P/N AM121071. (I've reduced the picture to 59K but it gives me an error saying it's larger than 75K when I try to upload it here. I'll try sending the full size version via email as it will be easier to read)

Also, I see the link I posted earlier doesn't work so you may want to try this: go to http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
then enter 455 in the seach box.
Select the entry for 2351 - 25,445 & 455 Lawn and Garden Tractors
Then select Sectional Index
Then select 40 - ELECTRICAL
Then select 72- PTO WIRING HARNESS

Now you should be where you can see both the old cable harness (1B) (AM121071) and the newer versions (1C) based on model, serial number and 2 wheel steer or All wheel steer.

I'm not sure which versions of the install instructions you have, but I'll dig for mine if you don't have the right version for your machine.

Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tim & Scott: The version of the install instructions that I sent was for the newer version of the PTO Kit with the separate electrical module that is plugged into the wiring harness under the instrument panel.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Scott -

Went through the same dilemma ; newer pto '96 >, to be installed on early '93-'95 tractor . You will definitely need the expensive full length harness JD #AM121071 . Mine cost me $150.80 + tax , a little over a year ago . Your donor tractor should have the pto module (AM120840) you need up under the dash . All years (4X5) now use the same rear pto module . You will have to un plug some wires that have been already hooked to it when it (rear pto) was first installed on the donor tractor . Forget about trying to find the BULGE harness , as it was only used two years , and was discontinued with the advent of the '96 and later year tractors . The early and then later models then shared the same PTO Module that fit under the dash . The only way to get the older "Built into the harness" (bulge module) would be to find a used one somewhere , or to buy the rear pto from a '93-'95 tractor .

One problem when buying a used 4X5 rear PTO is : Most dismantlers' don't know / care about the differences in wiring ; or only seem to think the hard parts are all that matter anyway . So they think that a rear pto is a rear pto ; NOT ! Yes , the hard parts are the very same ; but if you can't get it all wired up ..., well you know the rest .

So , in short .., all you need is the #AM121071 + the pto module that should be on your donor tractor . Module will have #AM120840 on it . It's under dash , forget which side .

Dave

Ps. Before you do anything , check under inside of the frame , just ahead of the left rear wheel for two wiring connectors that are open ended (not plugged into anything) . The 96 and later had these , and the 93-95 or there about , did not . If you don't have them , you will need the expensive AM121071 harness + module . If you have these two connectors , you only need the short wiring harness AM121061 + module .

Good lucK ; and FWIW - I have done these installs , and have run the gauntlet regarding these details .

Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
The donor tractor had the female clips built in the harness, and were inter woven to what looks like a main harness.
The new tractor has the two leads on frame rail, but missing a plastic end.

Thanks for the help
Weird thing is the PTO works in all positions but dash lights do not of course

Thanks for all the help I now have a good handle on it. I think LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.