Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of replacing a broken plastic cam gear in a Kawasaki fd620d. It doesn't look like anything else was damaged but I'm going to be replacing all the gaskets and seals along with new rings while I have it apart. My question is excluding the head gaskets should I use a gasket sealant on the rest of the gaskets? Any other tips or tricks also welcomed.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
I prefer to replace the plastic gear on the oil pump just for insurance. The governor gear and washer should be inspected for wear on the plastic tip. If the gov. gear is removed, however, it must be replaced. I saw a lot more wear on the vertical shaft models on the gov. gear tip. The gov. gear shaft usually does not need replacement, but may need to be reset to proper depth if the gear is removed. This is covered in the engine manual. Adding a pic of a worn gov. tip from an FD590V along with the new one for comparison. This one had approx. 2000 hours on it.

The only FD620 I had open did not have an internal gov. but was governed by the transaxle in a Kawasaki Mule, so I don't know if the horizontal shaft engine will have this wear problem.

If you are replacing the coolant pump at this time, that plastic gear would be new, so no problem. The vertical shaft engine must be removed to replace the coolant pump so I prefer to install a new pump with a cam gear replacement. I believe your model can be replaced without removing the engine, so your call on that.

As far as gasket sealer, I don't use anything with the Kawasaki gaskets. The treated surfaces seem to be great as is.

Product White Black Circle Grey

tommyhawk

· Registered
2,675 Posts
One other thing that you may enlighten me about replacing the valve springs and retainers for the steel cam gear. It has been several years since I did one of these cam replacements and it is not mentioned in the older repair manual I have. Some here on the forum have mentioned this replacement, but not something I was aware of back when. New cam and new tappets was all I added to the ones I have done. Does Deere have a kit for this, or do they call for this update, and do you have any idea what would be different in these parts? Maybe the springs are stronger?

I have had only one of the engines return, that I did in the past, with a related problem. I had replaced the plastic oil pump gear along with the other stuff as usual, but the new gear broke after only about 3 years (300 hours?) use. No other damage. FD590V in a 285 tractor.

tommyhawk

· Registered
10,702 Posts
I had JD do this repair to a 345 and the price was a bit over $1000. This included pick up and return of the tractor. New lifters to match the cam, water pump (they said invariably this goes bad shortly after the repair), new drive pulley (that normally gets damaged when removing it), electric PTO (also often get damaged), and 9 hours of labor which is JDs book rate of time required to do this. It also included a bunch of smaller items like oil, anti freeze, and other supplies. Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts