Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the scenario. I currently own a 430 with roughly 1850 hours that I would rate in very good condition. Let me say that I really love my 430 and has performed my tasks without a problem. I operate a small lawn care/ food plot business so I spray, fertilize, rototill, and mow roughly 4 acres weekly. I have an opportunity to purchase a really clean, low hour (650) 655 with a MMM and a quick hitch front blade. I push snow with my 430 and have a wide short driveway so a blade is best. I want to find a tiller for the 655 if I go that way. Will a 655 handle a 50" tiller? I also could utilize the 4wd for pulling logs out of the woods. I have looked at a couple 855's but they are too large for my mowing needs. I have a fair amount of tree rows. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I have a committed buyer for my current 430, 50" MMM, front blade, and 48" tiller. I can sell the whole setup and for $800 over what the owner of the 655 is asking.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
It will run a 48-50" tiller. 4wd is nice but cost of ownership is up . its a 540 tiller which is nice on the wallet. Id probably do it at a low cash upgrade.

They both have a 47 chest freezer option if you fall into a deal. Plowed bank to back yard its a giant snow erasor. It will take a foot at 6mph and launch it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would go for the 655. 540rpm pto, 4wd, foot control, true cat 1 3 point... I'm sure there's more, but those are reasons enough. I think the 655 may have the same wheelbase as the 430 or pretty close. Only negative is the 430 has more hp: 20 vs the 655 @ 16.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If it were me, I would look for a 755 or maybe 855 ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've looked at a couple 755/855 but they are a bit big for my mowing needs. I'm still a little concerned about the horsepower of the 655 especially for running a tiller. My 430 had no problems handling the 48" tiller. I think the tiller handled the tractor more. Ha. Does anyone have any experience running 3 point attachments of the back of a 655? Brush hog, tiller, etc?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also looked at a couple low houred x7xx machines. While really nice by the time you get them set up for what I want to do they are almost double for what I can get into this 655 for and I feel the 655 is much more capable for doing light duty landscape/woodlot management work. Also is there anything to watch for on the "55" series as far as common issues/problems with the design,engine, etc?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have a 655, but I do have a 332. It's powered by the same engine as the 655. On my smaller framed 332, it will pull a plow, tiller, and run my 50" belly mower and 50" rear mower just fine. It's probably slightly underpowered by today's standards but if you know your limits and take a smaller "whack" at things, it gets the job done. I've always admired the 655 and flirted with picking one up, but I think it's too big for my yard and I'd have to buy all new attachments due to my 2000rpm pto vs the 540rpm of the 655. No major issues on the 3tn66uj engine, really. The fuel filters all have a slight leak at the hose barbs. The 332 radiator was small, but I think the 655 has a more normal sized rad.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hmm, I think I'll add the 655 to my list of tractors I want!

·
Registered
799 Posts
My buddy has a 655 4wd and a 755 2wd (I think that's how is is) and the 655 is pretty good except for the power, which is pretty light for the types of demands he puts on it. He used it with a rear mounted mower and a front end loader. It's for sale and the only issue I know of with it is a likely cracked head, as it pushes water out of the cooling system. I keep asking him to get it tested for CO but he hasn't done it yet : ) Tractor still runs and does everything just fine though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is good to know thank you. I think a 655 will suit my needs well. How hard are model 60 loaders to find? Or maybe the 655 isn't built well enough to make a loader practical?

·
Registered
430 Posts
My cousin has a 655, and we have one as well. He uses his for rototillling, snowblowing with a 59", and spraying along the fence lines. We use ours almost strictly for mowing. With 4wd they will go virtually anywhere with ease. Wheelbase is very close to a 318-332, but they sit up at least 6" higher, plus the height of the ROP. Power is not bountiful but is ample. You just can not run as fast mowing as you would have with the 430. They share the same driveline as the 755 and 855, so with only 16hp are very unlikely to ever break anything...they are very heavily made - overbuilt. The lighting system is unbelievable compared to the 430. We have a pair of 430's, and while I love both of them they are not built nearly as heavy underneath as the 655. IS is just a whole different - heavy set up. My understanding is that they were built for one year, dealers were intitally limited to a max of two units per store. Every store did not order them, so left over production was sold off the subsequent year and a half. Most opted for the 755-855 and 955, 755's being the most plentiful and most well rounded power vs size package. Couple things that really are not a big deal, but be aware of: The fuel tank is in the front...use a funnel and try to avoid spilling as the spillage can get onto the radiator and then blown onto the engine. The paint on the metal is from the first attempts at powder coating and some peel. Sue the headlamp switch periodically so it does not sieze up...they can and are expensive to replace. The foot pedal hydraulics are awesome and easy for mowing! All in all it's a tractor that will be hard to wear out with some basic servicing, and I think down the road may be somewhat collectible as there just are not a whole lot of them around. While the engine is different than the 755, 855, and 955 many of the bottom parts are shared, so parts could be worse. IF you are going to repaint the metal parts be aware many of the decals are NLA. The loader should not be a issue if you add later...the frame and weight of these little compacts as heavy. Do not quote me on this but I believe most had the pockets welded on the sides of the frame for the rear mounts from day one. Both of the ones we have are pocketed, and to my knowledge have not had loaders.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
430 Should last 5000 hours easy if maintained well, some have had them at 7000+

not sure of track record for 655

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yanmar made the 655, no? They make a really good tractor, sure 7000 hours is not a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
655/755/855/955 are supposed to be the best compacts Deere has ever offered.

I thought the engine in my 332 is under powered, so I would think in a heavier tractor it would be even worse.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
655 has the 3 cylinder from a 332. The 650 had the oddball twin

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts