Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started working on my 140 last night after I got the American Girl doll house built for my daughter.

tires were low and when I filled them up I found they were filled with fluid but they did leak while it sat all summer

wow it was heavy to push into my garage last night with tiller attached, next time were boots instead of sneakers that slip

installed a new Auto Zone 26f battery and cranked it over no spark
points had some corrosion from sitting and cleaned up with emery cloth
It started up and ran strong for about 20 seconds then died
went looking for drop light and bulb broke
started it a second time and same result

removed bowl and this egg white like slime was in the bowl

removed tank and drained some fuel into a bottle, looks like the fuel separated.

drained about half from tank in hopes of ridding the bad fuel on bottom and tried to run it again. worked better and then stumbled after a minute.

Draining out tank and cleaning it. There is a fiberglass looking patch I am going to remove and silver solder it back, maybe the gas is eating it making that slime.

noticed a puddle of hydro under the diff, maybe the relief valve is leaking since I didn't screw it back before starting it.

winter is coming and I am trying to get a 49 Thrower on it

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Remember Knotty,we need pics! :good:

Reactions: knottyrope

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vehicle Tractor Outdoor power equipment Machine Lawn

here is the pic

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good luck...that looks like a handful...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lighting actually makes it look worse, there isn't that much rust on it. The hood and seat are the two worst items.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
creep is mostly gone but the cam and roller is suspect
seat pan is not fun to put back on
engine would not run well still, removed the bowl and no crud, so connected fuel line with bowl removed and it only dribbled.
gas went well from the tank
removed the 90 inlet on carb and found some Teflon tape blocking the fuel flow

drove it around the yard a bit and this thing does wheelies a lil too easy, even let my son ride it around

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Knotty,

I just changed the fluid in my 140 from new atf to new low-vis, it made a jerky take off go away. I am amazed at how smooth it became. the ATF was put in this summer by the PO, and only had 30 hours maybe

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
working on 49 thrower, seized tensioner pivot is at the shop being pressed out today

was looking for a belt but no one had one in stock, emailed dealer to order me one and no answer back

got a call this morning that it arrived, woot

need to mount skid plate to thrower and weld one up a lil

then hope to test it and dads this weekend

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Knotty

You probably already know but that seat has not been made since the late 70's/early 80's.
So anytime I see a 140,120,110,112,317,400 etc with an original seat that is not torn up it tells me 2 things.
Typically it doesn't have a ton of hours and was probably stored indoors most of it's life.
Looks like a good project.

AJ

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Knotty

You probably already know but that seat has not been made since the late 70's/early 80's.
So anytime I see a 140,120,110,112,317,400 etc with an original seat that is not torn up it tells me 2 things.
Typically it doesn't have a ton of hours and was probably stored indoors most of it's life.
Looks like a good project.

AJ
I'm not 100% sure which tractor that was, but if I remember correctly, it was dragged out of a barn. It had not been used in years, it had been part of an inheritance but just left sitting there a few more years after that before I got a call.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is correct KB, its the one I got from you

Dads was bought in Plymouth from a second owner. My dad already ripped his seat. might get a new cover but for now a bag is on it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: michaelkitko

·
Registered
506 Posts
looks good sounds like it is running great looks like you are having fun

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I noticed some exhaust coming out the front when starting up and upon further inspection I see the head is leaking and one head bolt loose.

off to buy some parts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bought some tri ribs today

1 - 20 of 41 Posts