Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kohler k 181, I plan to install in my recently acquired 110. But the spark plug hole is larger than normal. Is there a plug that fits this? The type code says it came out of a speedex. Normal plug for comparison.
Wood Automotive tire Button Automotive wheel system Circle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The threads are not damaged, it is appears to be tapped for a larger plug.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I’d be willing to bet the helicoil thread repair has came out. It looks like a larger thread. You will need a new helicoil kit or replace the head.

Reactions: redbarn110

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I have a 110 with the same thing. PO tapped out, or drilled and helicoiled the head. The plug that is in it needs a 7/8's socket to remove. The plug that is in it is done and is an old Prestolite 18 T4, which crosses to a Champion D9, which I just ordered on Amazon. There are other crosses listed too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The speedex tractor this engine came from used an 18mm spark plug, specifically D16 champion.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Currently having a K301 12hp Kohler from 1971 JD 120 rebuilt. Ran good but heavy oil user. Same thing happened. Removed spark plug and insert came out with the plug. Replacing with used head from ebay. Will see if head can be repaired when I get it back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Currently having a K301 12hp Kohler from 1971 JD 120 rebuilt. Ran good but heavy oil user. Same thing happened. Removed spark plug and insert came out with the plug. Replacing with used head from ebay. Will see if head can be repaired when I get it back.
Gabby, I believe I have a 301 head brand new Kohler in the box on a shelf in shop I ordered one but tried helicoil first and it has worked for over 15 years, so I never used it. if you need one.... Im only 45 Mi south of Rockford and 40 miles east of QC area. Mark

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was not helicoiled, it just used a larger plug.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heli-Coil work but many do not follow recommended procedures, after insert installed LET THE THREAD LOCKER CURE. before inserting anti siezed plug in, many get in a hurry and dont wait. We just get in a hurry and always have enough time to do it right, the second time.... LOL

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you mean by “tapered plug” ? The speedex the Spec no. designates takes a D16 champion.
Font Auto part Engineering Electric blue Automotive parking light

1 - 17 of 17 Posts