Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up this 425 last summer for a very resonable price:

The lady, however, informed us she could not keep spark plugs in it. We mowed with it all last summer, and nothing went wrong with the spark plugs. Although, somedays if you go to start it to move it, it will just sit there and crank. We put a spark plug tester on it, and the one side for sure is erratically sparking. Sometime it will spark consistently and sometimes it will not spark at all. If anyone has insight, it would be great!

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Swap the coils from side from side to side and see it the erratic spark follows the coil. If it does then replace that coil. It could also be the TDM which seems to go bad on these tractors. If it was mine here at home before I did anything myself I would talk to someone in service at a JD dealership and ask their advice. The parts on the newer tractors are to expensive to throw parts at them guessing for an answer. Roger

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bros,
I had exactly the same problem you are talking about........TWICE! The problem was the TDM both times. Fortunately they're not too expensive. I just realized how old this thread is. Oh well, maybe someone will find it useful.

Jim

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Yes. but you need to change from the magneto ignition to that kind of battery coil system. We used to do it all the time when I worked for JD for magneto ignition tractors. You need the new coil, a spark plug wire, a new condenser, the correct kind of ignition switch and to change the wiring slightly. If you use the Search feature above we seem to do this every 6 months or so so you should find other posts on doing this. Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.