Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I hope somebody can help.
I have a very nice JD 317, with a Kohler KT17 engine, it appears that the coil is not working.
I can't find a replacement.
Could anybody recommend a replacement coil and condenser?
Best regards
Fred Ford

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I went to a Kohler dealer for mine. They are not cheap. I think it was close to 100 dollars for it.
Other than that ,you could post in the want ads here ,or keep checking Ebay out.
What makes you think its bad. Have you tested it out ?
Roy

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes do points and condenser first they are available from any Kohler dealer and are not expensive. There is a twin tower coil for early 12 volt Harley motorcycles that will work, be sure you get the true 12 volt coil and not the 6 volt coil that requires a ballast resistor, found one on line for about $38.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Fred,
If you have a voltmeter/ohmmeter, you can check the coil. With the wires removed, the resistance across the primary posts will be about 4.5 ohms. The resistance between the two secondary ignition wire connections on the coil should be 10 kilohms (10,000 ohms), give or take maybe a thousand ohms. There should be no continuity between primary and secondary. Typically a bad coil has the secondary connections open.
Harold

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the information.
I really enjoy the site ( new to it )
The points are good, however< I have no confidence in the condenser & Coil
With the key in the on position, the coil gets hot to touch.
There is 12 volts on the in, and "0" volts on the out to the points.
I will check with a Harley dealer.
The JD dealer here wants $ 226 for the coil & condenser.
All the best
Fred Ford

·
Registered
945 Posts
Check the voltage on the "- "coil terminal(out to points), should be 12.5 when points are open and 0 volts when points are closed. If it is 0 all the time you have a short somewhere in this circuit.

The condenser should Ohm OPEN when disconnected from the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.