Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 318
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might anyone know if there is a place that repairs the instrument clusters off late model tractors? I just tried to repair one for one of our members and had to give up because I could not find replacement 'modules' for the actual gauges. The 'module' looks kinda like a small dc motor with 2 windings, it plugs into the PCB (Printer Circuit Board) in the cluster. I went to the local dealer with the cluster all disassembled and discussed it with the counter guy. He agreed that they are not repairable (even though they are super easy to take apart), it's just that those modules/motors are NLA. Cost of replacement cluster is $1136, that is F'ing ridiculous! So what is in the newer clusters for gauges? This particular one came from an X595, has temp and fuel gauge. Counter guy said they do replace these clusters occasional and just throw away the bad ones. Crazy wasteful society we live in. If anyone would like to chime in here please do. I would not be opposed to trying to repair one of these, if I could only find parts. I was suspecting that the one I attempted to repair had bad/broken/cold solder joints, but that was not the issue. Also, the counter guy said that the ones he has seen fail also had both gauges inop, not just one or the other. I think it is a design flaw. He said that particular cluster has been through 4 changes in it's short life of 20 years, as opposed to the old stuff that works forever!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have repaired a few of the clusters. I did find the OEM hour meter, but could not find the meter movement for the fuel and temperature gauges. Most of the problems with the fuel gauge is the sender in the tank which is NLA. Unless, you want to replace the fuel tank and everything associated with it for about $900.

I gave up on a couple temperature gauges and added a my own custom version. This is a DIGITAL lcd display I installed in the cluster. It came with a sensor probe which replaced the OEM temperature sensor. Rather than just guessing the temp with the green and red bands, this gives you the temp downs to tenths of a degree.

If you want to test a cluster in the tractor, I made a YouTube video of the procedure. I am also working on a repair video of the instrument cluster when I have some time. Subscribe to my channel, GotDeeres , for new repair and Buford Bucket videos.

(1) John Deere X475 to X595 Instrument Cluster Testing - YouTube

If you have a non-working cluster, I am interested in buying some for parts.

George of Buford

IMG_1403.JPG

·
Registered
1989 318
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the reply! After figuring out that both gauge movements were toast I thought the same thing, replace them with something readily available but never pursued that option. I have since sent the cluster back to the owner. I aske my local JD dealer if they had any 'dead' instrument clusters laying around and they said no, they usually just pitch them. What a shame! I will checkout that video. Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts