Weekend Freedom Machines banner

421 - 440 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I also agree that the chevy’s aren’t what they used to be. My 04 will spend most of its life in the garage. No winter weather for it. The light rust that starting will be taken care of and it will be a garage queen for the rest of its life. Kind of like my fathers ‘06. Yeah, his has 30,000 miles on it.
8B59CCDE-82B9-41CD-91D8-1B28D61D79D8.jpg
Dad’s is the really shiny one on the right.

Reactions: farmallboy

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think I upgraded 2 of my tow vehicles since I last posted on this thread.I bought the 11 2500HD Duramax with 18x k miles on it several years ago and it came from Canada and I scaled a 5 gallon bucket of rust from the frame last fall and it's going to get a set of rockers this fall.I picked up the 15 Denali with less than 100k on it this spring and it already has some nice patches of rust on the frame that I am going to have to tend to soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I needle scaled the 03 after I bought it. Didn’t think to measure it. But I’ll bet it was close to 2 buckets....cleaned. Converted. Painted. All using POR15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Farmallboy (oh the blasphemy), how long ago did you do that to you truck? Holding up well?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Farmallboy (oh the blasphemy), how long ago did you do that to you truck? Holding up well?
Haha yeah....family was mostly red the last couple generations. Dad only owned one jd. A 314. He replaced it with an x500 in 07. I bought my 1025r couple years ago. Grandpa only had an old b that was lost years ago when dad had to give up farming and buy a house. Sorry for the history!

Unfortunately for sharing info benefits...It’s only been a year and a half since I did it. I’ve noticed that it’s gotten orange surface rust appearance in a few places but I wipe it off with my hand ??? On the bottom of the frame where I got the paint heavy, it has peeled off in a couple places. Overall, it still looks good. But it’s not been that long. I need this truck to last me 8-10 years. I can get rid of my student loans and afford to upgrade then (wife wants a couple of things in near future that cost WAY more than a truck...) It’s still extremely black, the only thing is I wasn’t prepared for how thin the paint is. I wasted so much of it by using cheap brushes that soaked up a bunch of paint but would start falling apart. Wish I had more leftover. My BW turnover ball needed to be painted. Been very disappointed with it. Function wise it’s good but they use some cheap “powder coat”. Next truck will have a factory hitch.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Don’t put too much emphasis on the factory hitches. The original on my ‘02 was heavily rusted on the top where you can’t see it. Had to replace it. And yes the 2 year old Curt Hitch is rusting already.

Im just joking about the “Red” thing. My FIL has a bunch of old Farmalls. I joke with him too. He has a JD zero turn, a 780(I think, brain is a little fuzzy at the moment) with loader and hoe, and just bought a 1025R. I joke with him “So the green does the work, while the red spots the concrete?!”

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don’t put too much emphasis on the factory hitches. The original on my ‘02 was heavily rusted on the top where you can’t see it. Had to replace it. And yes the 2 year old Curt Hitch is rusting already.

Im just joking about the “Red” thing. My FIL has a bunch of old Farmalls. I joke with him too. He has a JD zero turn, a 780(I think, brain is a little fuzzy at the moment) with loader and hoe, and just bought a 1025R. I joke with him “So the green does the work, while the red spots the concrete?!”

It’s a battle here in Ohio. Cheapest 3/4 you can purchase new is 40k. At that cost I need 20 years to brake even and it’s impossible 5 years on the road and they start rusting!

Haha. Well I’m equal opportunity. Belong to antique club and enjoy seeing any and all. Recently saw a farmall m decked out with duals, flat top fenders power steering and 3 rear remotes!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I understand the battle. PA is much the same. Took me about 8 months and about 35 trucks to find my truck! Top it off it was a one owner who had all maintenance work done at the dealer, and I scooped it up for $21k!

Reactions: farmallboy

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
How to make a 4.6L V8 feel like a 3.0L V6:
deerehauler.jpg

The previous owner of my brother's recently acquired trailer added a section to the ramp, which was already catching a lot of wind. It pulls so hard it feels like my truck is only a V6. I'm glad it isn't a 6 banger or I'd probably have to run in 2nd gear. As it is, I had to switch the OD off and drive in 3rd to stop it from constantly shifting in and out of 4th. And that was with nothing loaded on it. Actually, I couldn't tell the difference between the trip there and the trip home when I dropped off the L100 at my daughter's.

If my brother doesn't take the extra section off (I would!) it will be interesting to see how well this little bugger pulls it with a 5.0L V8. Should be running about 300 HP when it's done. The 4.6 is only about 220 HP.
deerehauler2.jpg

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
15 Posts
Toyota Tacoma and 18 foot dovetail. The Taco does pretty good for the loads I haul.
DSC00674.jpg DSC00882.jpg

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Nice hauler Ken. Pretty sharp little tractors on the trailer too. Yer gonna fit in well around here:drinks:

Reactions: Moses Lawnagan

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't seem to have a picture where I'm hauling a tractor, but here's the pieces...

Truck is a 2009 Ranger, 4.0 5-speed, that's showing it's age (New England winters :( ) and probably soon to be replaced. Bought it new and it's been a good truck- wouldn't mind another just like it if I could find a clean one.

Just picked up the trailer recently- it's on my project list to improve a few things but works fine as-is. Ranger knows it's back there but pulls it nicely, and it's a good size- big enough to be useful but small enough to be easy to tow pretty much anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
New tractor hauler got pressed into service quick...hadn't even owned it long enough to put gas in it!

Truck is a 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport, 6-speed manual and 4wd; tractor is most of a 214 with a bad motor- parts machine, for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Problem with the big 3 now is they think a truck has 4 doors and front & rear seating. Don't know if I will buy another "American Made Truck" unless dealer is willing to drop price for things they decided I want; not things I decide I want. I can not haul 2x4's or hogs in a back seat without people laughing at me. I may go back to buying used trucks set up the way I want them.

Reactions: jd112 and Yooper

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
You must be a millennial. I am an English speaking American citizen whose tax dollars were sent to bail out General Motors during their time of whining. General Motors has not paid me back my tax dollars. I need a pick up truck. A pickup truck has one bench seat and two doors. I am not an American who cannot speak English and live off government hand outs. Do you understand?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Don’t forget Fiat/Chrysler took a handout as well. I think them and Gm have paid it all back. Ford used up there reserves to get them through. Their stock was really low for awhile during time. I have a 2014 Silverado that has the Chevy shake the dealer couldn’t fix. They told me everything was in spec. I had them printed off. Not what I’d call acceptable specs. I have put new steel drive shaft in it. One new axle, turned wheel flange on the other axle. Vibration has gotten a little better, but still there. I think it’s in the transmission, but hate to tear in to a working trans. They are all overpriced for what you get anymore. Parts are outsourced from god knows where and then assembled as fast as possible to build a product as cheap as possible. But if they all lasted forever, who would buy the new ones.

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Picked this up recently: HPIM2934.jpg HPIM2938.jpg

Fancier than I needed, but I didn't realize how scarce new 1/2 ton pickups are right now!

421 - 440 of 462 Posts