Weekend Freedom Machines banner

441 - 460 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is this a reply to what I said?

You must be a millennial. I am an English speaking American citizen whose tax dollars were sent to bail out General Motors during their time of whining. General Motors has not paid me back my tax dollars. I need a pick up truck. A pickup truck has one bench seat and two doors. I am not an American who cannot speak English and live off government hand outs. Do you understand?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Calm down gentlemen. There’s a truck out there for everyone. If you don’t like it, there’s more just down the street. Vote with your pocketbook. No need to hate on anyone for their choice in tractor haulers.
Now Jason, shouldn't they be hauling a green tractor? That is the important part although I have used the red ones and orange ones. I have been in Chevys, Fords, Dodges and a couple of the imports but they all got me where I needed to go.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Nice Soup

·
Administrator
6,102 Posts
I'm not a Ford guy, but I wanted a used 3/4 ton truck to tow my 18 foot trailer with my Farmall B with loader on it. After looking at rust buckets and high mileage trucks in my price range, I found a pretty nice '99 Ford F-250 Super Duty with decent miles on it. As I said I'm not really a Ford guy, kind of like the Rams and Chevy's better, but I always said if the truck and price was right, it didn't matter what brand.

The only thing I don't like about this truck, it's not a regular cab with a 8 foot bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
:good:Good looking truck.

I’m from Maine. Around here it’s darn hard to find a 10 year old truck that looks that good. Road salt destroys them.
My sister has a 2012 Ford F-150 w/109K miles that I was interested in until I crawled underneath it and took a good look. Rocker panels were shot and behind the rear wheel wells rust was coming through. Even though the price was right, I couldn’t bring myself to buy something that had so much rust at only 8 yrs old. Too bad as it feels like a brand new truck to drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
:good:Good looking truck.

I’m from Maine. Around here it’s darn hard to find a 10 year old truck that looks that good. Road salt destroys them.
My sister has a 2012 Ford F-150 w/109K miles that I was interested in until I crawled underneath it and took a good look. Rocker panels were shot and behind the rear wheel wells rust was coming through. Even though the price was right, I couldn’t bring myself to buy something that had so much rust at only 8 yrs old. Too bad as it feels like a brand new truck to drive.
So true here in Ohio. I broke down and bought new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Terry,

Nice truck -- at 21 years old it still looks pretty good for that part of the country. You did not mention mileage, and was it a one owner truck? I've never had a V10 engine in anything...how does it run?

My 1997 Chevy Z71 Silverado is one I bought new and now has only 37,600 miles or so on it today. It too is an extended cab. Has the 5.7 Vortec engine to which I have added a chip (mostly to get different shift points for towing) and I upgraded the rear axle to disc brakes from the original drums. I also changed the axle ratios both front and rear from the stock 3:73 to 4:10, again for towing my camp trailer when hunting on unimproved forest roads. I may never have another truck as this one drives and looks like new...the pictures below are not recent, but it still looks the same. I replace the tires every 7 or 8 years, never have worn a set out.

light snow, elk cart still on top of truck.jpg

Walt's truck & trailer next to mine.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Terry,

Nice truck -- at 21 years old it still looks pretty good for that part of the country. You did not mention mileage, and was it a one owner truck? I've never had a V10 engine in anything...how does it run?

My 1997 Chevy Z71 Silverado is one I bought new and now has only 37,600 miles or so on it today. It too is an extended cab. Has the 5.7 Vortec engine to which I have added a chip (mostly to get different shift points for towing) and I upgraded the rear axle to disc brakes from the original drums. I also changed the axle ratios both front and rear from the stock 3:73 to 4:10, again for towing my camp trailer when hunting on unimproved forest roads. I may never have another truck as this one drives and looks like new...the pictures below are not recent, but it still looks the same. I replace the tires every 7 or 8 years, never have worn a set out.

View attachment 254308

View attachment 254310

Chuck
Good lord!

My 95 was a 4x owner. Ran it to 230k. Sold it and they junked it last year due to cracked Swiss cheese frame. Those old chevys were so simple good looking and cheap to maintain.

·
Administrator
6,102 Posts
Chuck,
It has 140K on it, and it looks like it was used to pull either a RV or a horse trailer - there is makings of a 5th wheel in the bed, and in addition to the 7 pin connector at the bumper, it also has one in the bed, plus what looks to be a 110V electrical outlet. Other than a worn front seat (leather) it's in a great shape. The V10 is from Ford's module engine line, that includes the 4.6 and 5.4 V8s. From what I understand when Ford wanted to have a bigger engine for their super duty trucks, they wanted to use the module engine block, but there wasn't enough room to increase the bore and stroke. So, they just added two more cylinders to a 5.4.

The truck runs great and plenty of power for what I need. Since this truck is only going to be used to pull my 18 foot trailer, it won't see a lot of duty - my '04 Dodge Ram is my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Put a set of towing mirrors on the Silverado last night. We bought a newer, larger camper so needed something to be able to see the backend when pulling it. Got them from Amazon for $170+/- so I was a little leery when everywhere else was close to $300 or more. There were no directions in package, but found youtube video which was very helpful in getting door trim off. Had to drill another hole in door to mount. Old had 3 studs, new had 4. I had to take the hard plastic trim from old mirror an put on new base with a little trimming. Also had to take mounting tabs off old wiring & put on new to fasten to door frame. Total time was just shy of 4 hours with dinner break between sides. Finished fit was nice, seems sturdy, will see how they hold up.
Old mirrors:
20180118_111749-mirror.jpg
New mirrors:
IMG_20200707_200139078.jpg IMG_20200707_200130549.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Put a set of towing mirrors on the Silverado last night. We bought a newer, larger camper so needed something to be able to see the backend when pulling it. Got them from Amazon for $170+/- so I was a little leery when everywhere else was close to $300 or more. There were no directions in package, but found youtube video which was very helpful in getting door trim off. Had to drill another hole in door to mount. Old had 3 studs, new had 4. I had to take the hard plastic trim from old mirror an put on new base with a little trimming. Also had to take mounting tabs off old wiring & put on new to fasten to door frame. Total time was just shy of 4 hours with dinner break between sides. Finished fit was nice, seems sturdy, will see how they hold up.
Old mirrors:
View attachment 256016
New mirrors:
View attachment 256018 View attachment 256020
Looks good. I like the newer ones with lights but the cost is bad. I live in the ram world where they bicker about running with mirrors out but my 2 years owning a Silverado with the vertical mirrors really made me prefer that layout and I tow regular enough I'm not moving them all the time.

How big is that camper?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Looks good. I like the newer ones with lights but the cost is bad. I live in the ram world where they bicker about running with mirrors out but my 2 years owning a Silverado with the vertical mirrors really made me prefer that layout and I tow regular enough I'm not moving them all the time.
How big is that camper?
Thanks.
Cost new from Chevy was close to $300 for each side (total - $600). Name brand after market manufacturer was anywhere from $350-600 for the pair.
This is work truck model (WT2) so anything fancier with chrome, etc. would have looked chincy. Plus the only option it had was power adjust and defrost which works with rear window defroster.
The camper is 33' long from hitch to spare tire on back bumper. Our old camper was narrower, not as tall and only 22' so the stock mirrors worked fine with a little neck turning.
Here's a picture of camper when we picked it up.
DSC06721.jpg

Reactions: farmallboy

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
John,

Some years ago my wife bought me electric extending mirrors for my 97 Silverado shown at the top of this page (they are retracted in these pictures...). They bolted right up to the original holes, and use a small rocker switch to extend/retract so they are not overly large when not towing but really get out there when hauling a full width camp trailer. They are a bit subject to vibration on really coarse rock roads in the National Forests, but otherwise have worked well. The do need to be extended a small amount to easily fold back for the car wash, per the manufacturer's recommendations. I have enjoyed them for years now.

Mine are the Generation 1 units and do not have the heaters or signl lights that are available in later models. Here is a link:
https://powervisionmirrors.com/mirror_styles

Chuck

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
John,
Some years ago my wife bought me electric extending mirrors for my 97 Silverado shown at the top of this page (they are retracted in these pictures...). They bolted right up to the original holes, and use a small rocker switch to extend/retract so they are not overly large when not towing but really get out there when hauling a full width camp trailer. They are a bit subject to vibration on really coarse rock roads in the National Forests, but otherwise have worked well. The do need to be extended a small amount to easily fold back for the car wash, per the manufacturer's recommendations. I have enjoyed them for years now.
Mine are the Generation 1 units and do not have the heaters or signl lights that are available in later models. Here is a link:
https://powervisionmirrors.com/mirror_styles
Chuck
Those are neat! Never came across those in my research. Unfortunately, the website only lists for Gen 1 & 2. Our '14 is Gen 3 so not sure if they would work/fit.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Both of my Silverado’s have those mirrors (not factory, before they started that style), my ‘02 2500HD has manuals, my ‘04 3500 has power, defrost, and turn signals. Both were amazon sets ($80 for manual, $160 for loaded), both are holding up well. I do prefer the power mirrors over the manual...it’s easier than the “little more, too far” game with the wife trying to adjust the passenger side after pulling them out or pushing them back in.
839C2527-87D4-442D-AB8B-88C204FCCFDD.jpg

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Got the air bags installed last weekend and hooked up camper for test drive. No sag on the pickup in the back, camper pulled nice and steady.

These are what I had installed with Schrader valves.

441 - 460 of 462 Posts