Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

Newbie to the JD4x5 world, as I have recently migrated from the 318/332 realm to a 95' 455 (AWS). I greatly appreciate the support I have received within this later model technical forum thus far. I would also appreciate your future patience with me, as I'm sure there will be many more questions to come.....

That being said, does anyone have an AWS tractor currently using either a 54" 4-Way blade or a single or 2 stage snow blower unit? I am just wondering how well the AWS works in the snow with either of these set-ups? I don't think that I can get away with bar tires in the rear (due to the AWS clearence issue - correct me if I am wrong?) and although I have chains, I really don't want to mark-up my asphalt drive way.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rob: I found some Carlisle ATV tires in 23-10.5-12 size at a local dealer. Actually they measure 22" tall, even tho marked as above. No problem with clearance & lots of traction with only liquid ballast. I don't have a blade of snowblower, so can't answer that question. Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gary,

I checked the Carlisle website this morning, yet couldn't locate the ATV tires you had suggested. Could you send me a link to the specific tire listed on their website, or the style that you saw at the dealership?

I know, I'd likely be testing your memory. The other option, that someone pointed out to me this morning is to consider using the Terra Grip option.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my attempt at posting the pictures that you sent to me Gary.

(For the benefit of other 4x5 owners).

At least one of the three you emailed to me seemed to upload.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Rob, I don't know if you get a lot of ice in your area, but if so, and particularly if your driveway has any hills, you are going to need chains. They don't tear up the driveway if you don't spin your wheels, which is largely a matter of having enough weight on.

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Purchased the "Terra Grips" from Superior Tech. Great customer service! They work well thus far, even without wheel weights, yet we'll have to see how they do with greater amounts of snow! Quick tip: When installing the Terra Grips, deflate the tires as recommended, as much as possible to save yourself a lot of grunt work

Beware though, as I would suspect the same from the installation of tire chains, 1" spacers may be required --> (looking into them now) as the grips are dangerously close to the rear wheel guide arms on my 455 - AWS (All Wheel Steer) version.

I am told that the 1" spacers will not have any clearance issues with my 60" deck. Will update on success of my future "spacer" installations!

Happy New Year's All WFM Members!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Any way to level these other than tweaking the front tire pressures?

It's off by about 3/4" from one side to the other. Probably not really a problem but.....I notice it when I park it and drop the thrower, heck maybe the garage floor is that uneven, but I haven't noticed it being that far off before. Doesn't seem to really affect operation, thank goodness because we've had about 3 feet of snow in the last few weeks.

I checked the tire pressures and they were correct. Not sure what else it could be unless maybe I've somehow bent that heavy framework/bracketing along the way?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Anne the only thing I know to adjust it is the runners so they are the same. It will lift more on the left side than the right as that is where the lift is hooked to. You could check the pivot places on the blower lift. I have seen the bushings/bolts in those come loose, wear or get lost. Roger

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Anne,
I had the same issue on mine. Mine was about 1/2" difference side to side. I had to adjust the lift rod underneath the tractor to get it to drop flush on both sides.
The down side is now it does not lift as high as before.
Also as Roger mentioned, make sure the runners are set the same height.
John
John

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Mine is/was that way. Made it real tough to mount. Not a problem once I hung it from tractor. I dont recall what I did if anything. Maybe adjust tire pressure? I think one tire is two ply and another is four if I recall.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks y'all.

Actually it is higher on the right side (as you sit in the seat)...and I notice it as I lower it when parking, the left side hits the ground first so maybe the runners do need to be adjusted.

When running dropped all the way down, cleared a foot of dense snow off the driveway yesterday, it functions fine. May just be some of that minutiae that I notice that really has no relevance to function.

Will have to check everything over, once it warms enough to melt all the snow and ice off it, and will post back here as to what I find.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Both my 37A's mounted now on two different tractors do what you say. Left side touches first. When I got these years ago I tried to figure out a cause. I set runners with a even spacer plate both sides. Worked fine. Installed belt with tension spring. UNEVEN TOUCHDOWN. I found enough tension from belt. I then replaced the pivot spacers and bolts. Still uneven during touchdown. I live with it. It's about 1/4" uneven on both my blowers.
Hope this helps.
Keith

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes mine is same. I don't know that the pivot /mounting bushings would wear. I suppose they could but one would wear out and the other would not????

I suspected the torque imposed by the belt will do this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the responses folks.
Always helps to hear others experiences.

It was less than a half inch off.....
....until I replaced the drive chain and had to tweak the tension, so there's where the change happened.

I'll look it over closely at some point. Right now it's too cold to get all the ice off it...and too frickin' cold to be out there dinking around with it when it does function fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.