Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where this should be posted, so moderator feel free to move it. I plan to use windshield washer fluid in my tires. I just scored enough to do 2 tractors at my local Walmart. They are selling off the -20 degree gallons for $0.71 each. Went on sale yesterday, I think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Huge score! I currently have some old dry rotted turfs that I occasionally use on my 317 that’s also chained up and ready to go. I don’t use this setup much now that I’ve got a 1025R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 318
613 Posts
When filling with liquid, do you use a tube or not? Curious minds want to know..................

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That is a very good deal. I’m using the cheap stuff from the dollar tree I got several years ago for .99 per gallon. Might be worth getting 20 gallons if it is on sale and available here locally. Does Walmart have it available online free ship to store option for this?

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
When filling with liquid, do you use a tube or not? Curious minds want to know..................
I have a 318 with 44 loader. The tires were filled with antifreeze mixture and weighed 108 lbs and didn't have inner tubes. And had a puncture once which let some out.Had to park it on trailer with puncture at the top. Plugged it and used it a couple more years.

But changed tires and put tubes in my new R4's. It;s your choice.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I’m not taking any special trip to Walmart to find out it’s not available. Perhaps you could post the sku # or link to the product.

·
Registered
1989 318
613 Posts
So thinking about the tube, if you used an inner tube and it got a leak, then the fluid could really come out anywhere not giving you a real indication of where the leak is. I heard of using beet juice as fluid, not sure why.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Beet juice is biodegradable, won’t harm your lawn iirc. Might not cause corrosion as well but not sure about that.

If you get a flat with a tube then wouldn’t you have a hard time removing the tube with fluid in it for a patch job?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You could fill em with concrete if you really wanted to. I don’t think sand is a good option imo.

·
Registered
1989 318
613 Posts
Yeah, concrete a no-go. Liquid is not compressable so if you filled it max full of water it would be just like full of concrete, just not so heavy. I am guessing that when you fill with fluid you leave room for compression (air space) so she does not ride solid like rock?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
So thinking about the tube, if you used an inner tube and it got a leak, then the fluid could really come out anywhere not giving you a real indication of where the leak is. I heard of using beet juice as fluid, not sure why.
Beet Juice (rim guard) is high density and adds more weight to wheels than water/antifreeze. I added rim guard to my 332 with loader along with a starter weight and double notch cast iron on each wheel. Two problems. First you need to put rimguard in your retirement plan because it is quite expensive. Second it was a waste of money on a tractor with CTC loader. Loader uses tractor hydraulics and has limited lift capacity. I plan to add a dedicated hydraulic system to fix this problem.

$102 parts and labor to fill two 23x10.5-12 tires with beet juice.

Link gives weight for rimguard filled wheels ... 1987 332 w/loader ... Southwest Wisconsin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, concrete a no-go. Liquid is not compressable so if you filled it max full of water it would be just like full of concrete, just not so heavy. I am guessing that when you fill with fluid you leave room for compression (air space) so she does not ride solid like rock?
I saw some cartoon more years ago than I care to think about. It showed rubber roads with concrete wheels. The cartoon characters were bouncing along...... Absent said rubber roads, as you said, a bad idea. How would you change the tire when the tread wore out? Skip the bead breaker - where's my jack hammer (or they dynamite)?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The labor cost is the deal stopper when having tires filled with rimguard at Deere dealerships. I don't know where else to get it that has a lower labor charge.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Both, think the 8N’s old Good for one (many) years were tubed and pretty sure the new rim and tires are also (old were loaded with calcium chloride, common but can destroy rims, new haven’t been loaded yet)
The 2025R’s rears are tubeless and loaded (windshield washer fluid.) We did that with a drill pump, Slime liquid adapter, a bunch of washer fluid jugs, some sort garden hose chunks, and some time (and use a corded drill, the battery one didn’t last long)
Beet juice is as mentioned heavier, biodegradable (popped tires don’t potentially sterilize the spill area for a while), they come out and do all the work (Tractor Time With Tim has a video on the process), and supports US beet farmers and sugar companies (at least one is farmer owned I believe)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Down here in the sunny mid-South, I fill the rears with bargain WW fluid from the cheapest source I can find...then use the siphon method from a 5 gallon bucket through a clear hose to the schrader valve (core removed...placed at top of tire rotation), with a little red WD-40 squirt hose inserted into the clear hose as a vent/belcher. Forget how many gallons my 430 tires ate up, but it leaves room for about 8-10 lbs. of air pressure when you're done. Didn't replace my rubber valve stems with metal ones and wish I had...the cheap valve cores these days degrade over time and you have trouble getting air into some of them. Adds significant weight to each tire for traction, plus the Deere wheel weights, makes it a nice ditching/dirt machine. We never have snow here, so winter traction is not a concern.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts