Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Again, mad skills man!!!!
At least you didn't say "mad man skills". But he is doing a good job and asking some good questions. Hopefully we are giving him good advice.
I am guessing he is younger than me. He seems more energetic.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks guys. I've been trying to get more done, but we've been traveling most weekends lately. I'm out of town for work today, but before I left i dropped the rear piece of at the machine shop. I asked them to put bushings in the rocker arm area. They suggested I put another stabilizer in the centre as well. It's cold rolled steel, I was asking if I should've put superior shafting instead, that's how the centre stabilizer came about. I will be back late tomorrow & able to pick it back up for weekend. I have the balls on one end of the arms, but feel I should wait till the trans is installed before trying to bend the arms. (need to clear the tires) it's a long weekend for us, so I'm hoping to get it rolling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
IMG_0413.jpg
So I kinda have the frame in place. Rear frame & boxed section it tacked together, axle is just sitting in place. I'm going to open up a square tube to mount the rearmed to the frame. Front end is just propted up for now. Engine is sitting on the frame but will get recessed into the frame. We were also thinking the front axle is currently in backwards & needs to be swong around, but it might be better if we swap the spindles to the opposite side. If we do that the tie rod will be on the front of the axle & give more room for power steering cylinder. Clearance might be tight with it on the rear & engine pulley close by. By the measurements so far, I believe the engine will still have clearance for the fuel tank above like originally was, time will tell. Tomorrow I hope to get the engine plate in place & work on the front axle mounts. I should be able to get rid of the spreader bars currently holding the frame rails also. This tractor sits at 17" infront of rear tires & I believe 15 3/4" at the front. 2 degree slope. Trike is also 17" at same location with 4 degree slope. I was asked if I was keeping track of time spent in building, I couldn't imagine doing that, likely be depressing. Surprisingly a lot of thought in how it works & what all I want to see out of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
image.jpg

Feeling alittle under the the weather today, but I did get the frame notched so the engine will fit between the rails. I'm taking the frame to work tomorrow & plan to cut the plate for the motor mount. Hopefully I will have time to weld it in place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
image.jpg

Finally starting to feel better, I managed to get the front & rear axles square with the frame rails. Engine mount is in with a hole large enough so the pulley will fit through. I haven't got the holes to bolt down the engine drilled yet. Today I welded the front & rear axles in place & as you can see I threw some pieces on the tractor to see how everything is looking. I started welding the main frame up solid but left the ends so a can taper them down for a cleaner finish. The front needs to be tapered to mount the grill in place. Engine seems to fit down in there nicely. The larger pulley on the engine will be removed, it will give me better clearance under the tractor also. I've been thinking of running 2 smaller pulleys on the engine to the driven shaft & add a second there as well. That's likely where the hydraulic pump will be mounted, due to widening the frame it looks like I should have the room I need. By running twin belts I don't think I should be squealing the pump. I would've preferred to went directly off the engine, but think it will be to low. I'm not sure yet how much he frame has stretched, looks like at least 4". I haven't decided weather I should make up the difference at the seat pan, or make it have more of a dash & add some there. Working out of town for the next couple weeks so, lots of thoughts, little work completed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Made it home from working out of town Saturday afternoon & went to play with the 60 today. Finished welding the frame & cleaned it up. image.jpg
Here's a couple pics of the engine tucked down in the frame.
image.jpg image.jpg
The chalk line is where I will need to narrow the front for the grill. Its just st a guess at this point I never remembered to bring a grill over we I went. The black line is just how I think I will tie the rear frame together, think it will just clean it up better.
image.jpg image.jpg
& a couple pics of the front axle mounts, I need to clean up the hole for the engine pulley
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did a little more playing with the 60 today

image.jpg
I'm thinking the loader arms are looking a little thick, I may have to trim them down later since the under side is not welded yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg
I had to put a shim under the frame so the belt wouldn't rub the loaders frame/ oil tank, so I thought I would make the loader easier to install if it were more self centred. The up right & lower tube will be the oil tank, I haven't figured out the oil capacity as of yet, but believe it will be fine. Also need to come up with a way to mount to the frame yet, I have some ideas but think I will tack weld it for the time being & wait till the whole sub frames done. Sometimes things just work out.
image.jpg
I also started working on mounting the grill, but found I needed to get loader mounts secure before flipping the tractor over to cut the underside.

image.jpg
I cut the loader arms down to fit the tractor, but I'm thinking I might cut the front & change the profile a bit more. I also had the main loader pins made today, but never got to installing them yet. I will probably cut the front spreader bar first before doing the pins, just a thought. I'm going to try again tomorrow evening to make some headway on this project.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I try to take anything that might help others see what work goes into a project like this. I know it helps me & I enjoy seeing others pictures. I was wondering if I was posting to many lately, but I've been doing different things on this since I got back home. I'm thinking about talking to the neighbor about parting with his 300 jd, that would give me a motor & trans for the hi crop project & I would have the H3 valves for this project just need power steering pump & cylinder. Another thought was wait & see what is at Le Sueur Mn. Never been there but hoping to get there this year. Seems 300 series tractors are more plentiful that way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
image.jpg
So I narrowed the front end in tonight to make the grill fit. Tomorrow I'm hoping to drill oversized holes & stuff some coupler nuts in there put the grill in place & weld the nuts in place. I'm also hoping to bring the magdrill home for the weekend & drill the holes for the loader arms & cut a hole for the front loader support.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Ok, so I managed to get the grill mounted, loader pins tacked in place & cross tube welded as well as the bucket pin holes cut. I pulled the secondary pulleys 2 1/2" toward the rear of the tractor. I'm thinking about putting the dash back in the stock holes, then making the dash mimick what's on the 530' or 30 series tractors. They kinda slope down to the hood for those not familiar, see if I can make that happen. I could stretch the hood I suppose instead, but I've never messed with fibreglass yet to take on that kind of project. Looks as though I should have an inch of space between the bottom of the fuel tank & shroud of the engine. I was thinking of putting the hydraulic pump directly off the top of the flywheel also, this would clean up the tractor a fair bit. I have to bring the pump over yet & it may fit under off the flywheel. In the one pic the larger pulley hangs low, but it would be removed it's not needed. The pump would be getting close to that though, that's why I'm thinking off the top.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not much new lately. I have bucket pins being made, gas tank mounted might split the fender pan tonight. I could finish the loader arms, completing the boxing in. Weld main pins in solid, cut the excess pipe of the cross tube off. From there I would be looking at purchasing some cylinders for lift & tilt. I was looking at different opinions for the dash last night as well. I could just pull it back & narrow it the thickness of the gasket around the outside then add the 2 1/2" or I could change the angle of the dash also, more like the 30 series. & I gotta say N2 I do like your screen name picture, took me a while to realize it wasn't a Deere. Lol.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah that is one of my favorite avatars.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
This is what I got done tonight, looks like 4" stretch coming for the fenders & added 2 1/2" in the pan. Battery may end up under the pan for extra space up front for the pump. I was going to mount it directly to the engine, but the fuel tank is to close. I could modify the mounts & move it an inch forward, but now I'm thinking pulley off the top, short belt to the pump & mount the pump in the battery tray. Lots of work ahead!
image.jpg
Thats where the dash is going to sit, just need to modify a bit

·
Registered
909 Posts
This is my current favorite thread to watch! At first I thought you may be a bit crazy for wanting to put a loader on the smallest JD tractor of its time, but you are doing a fantastic job getting the frame strengthened and making it a bit more heavy-duty! Can't wait to see it completed!

P.S.-- I think you need an alignment :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks guys, I really do enjoy tinkering on these, helps me keep my sanity actually.Ya Ryan, I'm thinking she might be a little out, suppose I should throw a tape on it. Lol. Actually I've been looking for a piece of rod & tie the two together. Then I plan to put a cylinder on the top of the left spindle & hook it to the right side of the frame. I want it to tuck it under the tractor nice & neat. Right spindle needs to be replaced also or fixed. Someone has welded it in the past. Rides on the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I had a few minutes tonight to tinker, so I cut out an inner panel for the dash. It looks the same as the normal one so far, but most of the lower portion where the steering wheel would go is cut away. I'm planning to move the original dash up 1 1/2" & maybe tip it a couple more degrees to mimick the 30 series like I mentioned. I kinda mocked it up tonight & like how it looked, or at least may look. I'm getting the backing plate cut tomorrow for the quik attach & picking up some more body metal for the fenders. Long weekend coming up & hoping to spend some time at it. May have the dash done tomorrow evening, I will post pics if I do.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts