Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of old Deeres locally. The '63 round fender 110, $450 OBO, has a few sheared gears, so the transaxle needs replaced or rebuilt. I might of found a replacement for $100. the tractor would need repainted and the general replacements and refinishing if restoring vs using. Needs seat and seat spring, PTO cover is also missing deck front roller needs replaced, hood needs some glass work. Very slight smoke on cold start none on second start.

'69 112 with K241, $375 OBO, engine stuck in reverse. Could be the minor repair or more if gears are sheared. Needs glass repair to hood, otherwise pretty nice original condition. a little further away from me.

317 unsure of year and which motor it has. Just needs a new seat. $600 OBO.

On the 110 3 speed vs 4 speed, is the 1st gear the same in both or does the 4 speed have a lower geared 1st than the earlier 110's? I'm a little interested in the plow day's events and might purchase a plow. I read somewhere the earlier 110's might not be recommended for plowing. I also, will need to mow on a hill some. I can get through our back gate to mow around the pond with the earlier 36/38" mower deck more easily might not fit with the 46" deck. Our HOA doesn't keep up with it regularly.

Any advice on my choices?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally, I like the AG tires. Which come on the 317 vs the turf tires on the 110, 112. I can change those out though. Is 23 or 26 8.50x12 the tallest AG on the stock rear rims that can be installed?

If I moved to __ x12x12 rims would I need to change anything else out or just bolt them on?

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
If it's truly a 63, jumped on it, don't hesitate. Deere only made a 1000 '63s and they're getting harder and harder to find. But I've seen people advertise a 110 as a '63, only to find out it wasn't. Post some pictures on here if you get a chance.

BTW, I moved this thread. All tractors you're considering are garden tractors, not lawn tractors and definitely not rear engine riders. Also we have separate sections for all 3 you mentioned, A round fender section for the 63, a gear drive section for the square fender 110, and a hydrostatic drive section for the 317. Since you're mentioned all 3, I place this in the Vintage L&G Discussion section.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went back by to look at the '64 110. I took some pictures of the transaxle gears to see what is broken and missing. If you can tell from the diagram please let me know. Which numbers are what.

Additionally the the transaxle is installed with spindles so it can be rolled around. The seller let me know there is a chunk missing to the case where they connect. It is about a dime size, maybe smaller, might of happened when the gears broke. The hole is about 3/4 the way on the back end of the transaxle when mounted. Hard to get a photo of it. Can it be welded, or if left alone does the oil, etc leak out. Would likely get dirty though.

I found several other transaxles, going back to see if any might work. They are rusty though and $100 ea.

Another option ion might be to covert to a 4 speed. a has anyone done this, how much needs changed etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Some of those gears in the 3 speed are common to the JD model 60, 70 and ind I think 100. You can firm on JD. Parts. The cases are not the same however. I am pretty sure that can be welded. I would not leave it open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts