Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the chance to use my 430 yesterday to clear a little snow at our vacation property. My second time using it so it's kind of new to me.
I have an older refrigerator style 47 blower. I greased it and checked fluids before use. While blowing snow yesterday it suddenly stopped working - didn't hit anything that I know of
I got out and checked- shear bolts on auger fine. The PTO shaft is spinning normally to the gearbox on back of blower. No strange noises at all. Augers and impeller not moving.
They move freely by hand.
Nothing looked broken on case and there was no fluid leaking. Of course I had to head home so I put it in garage. Did some research last night but kinda got conflicting info- some said there's a 3rd shear bolt and there was discussion of a key that sometimes breaks away
I don't have blower with me now so it's obviously tough to diagnose. I know it is an older (not quick hitch) style model 47 blower.
Is there a third shear bolt? If so where is it?
How would I know if it was a keyway issue?
My son lives there and can take pics for me if needed
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
We can't diagnose problem from here, and nor can you! A little more inspection of your part or son is needed. I'm not too familiar with the "refrigerator" 47 and not even sure I'm on the correct parts page! BUT, here we go!!! 3 shear bolts, one in each auger section and one for impeller/ blower fan. With engine Off, grab both sections of auger, one section in one hand, one in the other hand, and try to rotate one section and not rotate the other. The plates where the shear bolts go can rust up and even with a sheared bolt they "appear" fine. If augers rotate together, 2 shear bolts are fine. Next, grab impeller/blower fan and rotate auger...impeller should rotate also. If so, follow shaft back to whatever it connects to! This is where I'm lost being not familiar with the unit!!! Shaft with impeller should be rotating and follow the entire system back until you see something that rotates on one end and not the other. It may be a sheared key, a setscrew that fell out or ??? Keep checking from auger back to drive shaft and into pto...possible pto is bad. Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to spin both augers and impeller by hand. The pto shaft spins when engaged as well.
Where would the impeller shear bolt be located?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Here's what I found, but again NOT SURE if this is "refrigerator!"

Item 31 would be the shear bolt and this is a 1/4x1 GRADE 5 hex head bolt with a nylock nut.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The chest freezer for the 318, 322, 332 is a M02752X.
The chest freezer for the 420, 430 is a M02753X.
If you go to JD parts and search on model 430;
Then select 430 L&G Tractor, PC1997;
Then select 47 Inch snowblower, PC1926.
Then select 20 Tractors 318, etc ....
PC1926 will give you the parts diagrams, etc, that will help.

Not sure if this parts catalog link will work -

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the answers!
I'll have to get another pic to see if the rest of the bolt is there but it looks like it is

·
Registered
801 Posts
Check that shear bolt thoroughly. Sometimes when they shear, a remnant stays in place and so it looks like it's intact when in fact it isn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heading up tomorrow to hopefully diagnose the problem- all shear bolts seem fine so hoping it's a key/keyway problem :unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm here now with blower in front of me
So far I have checked 2 keys and they are fine.
I removed the gearbox on outside rear of blower. To put it simply when you turn the shaft from tractor side it spins freely but shaft that goes to blower does not spin. I'm assuming it's a problem inside gearbox.
I really would like to crack it open and take a look.
I removed the 4 bolts holding it together but it won't seem to come apart. I've been tapping it but don't want to hit too hard
Any tricks?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Either broken shaft or gear(s), or broken snap ring allowing gear to slides off each other, inside of gear box. You've got it down to the problem, excellant work on diagnosis. I can't offer any tricks on taking it apart, because I've never taken one apart. Hopefully other who have will jump in with what they did. Will keep following since this blower is what I have on my 318.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So just got home little while ago.
Used a deadblow and tapped around the entire casing for about 2 minutes and casing came apart no problem.
Broken shaft is the culprit- I'm wondering if they weren't shear bolts after all. Unfortunately I didn't bring them back with me.
Where the break occurred is definitely discolored which makes me think it's been damaged already- this is my first winter using to clear snow.
It's #7 in diagram.
Haven't had luck looking up part # yet, maybe trip to dealer tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Was it the input shaft or output shaft that broke, isn't clear from pics? Oops didn't read it all, so output shaft (casting flaw/weakness) or wrong shear bolts used? Some high res photos of the ends might help. But now you know why all to use the proper shear bolts always. Shear bolts are cheap, gears are not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just came back from local dealer. You can't order just the single part but you can get a whole new gearbox. There are 35 available nationwide and that's it
$1600
Ugh- time to look for another blower
Anybody have a 47 blower they're parting out?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts