Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
major problem with starting switch, tractor wants to keep turning over when she is stoped,used it all day pushing snow no problem but now even the dash wont ligft up 318 maybe 1986

·
Super Moderator
4,128 Posts
Welcome to WFMachines. The ignition switches are known to cause problems as they are old and have been used many times. Make sure you get the correct one as there are some that look the same but don't function the same. Now you say "tractor wants to keep turning over when she is stopped" do you mean it wants to creep forward when you have it in neutral then the linkage from the transmission needs to be checked for wear and repaired as wear that seems small does affect these tractor more than one would think. Do you have a manual? Check the Technical FAQ Archive on this site as it will also give you some good information.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Welcome to WFM Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Good Morning and welcome.

I think you need to explain your situation a little better. By turning over, do you mean the starter won't disengage? Does the engine want to continue to run on after you shut it off? (Very roughly.) You mentioned the key switch. Do you have a reason for suspecting that? If that is the case, don't attempt to start the engine until you have the issue corrected or you could do some major damage. Also, what engine do you have? They have different starters which would narrow it down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Bobby,
Please let me introduce myself, I am a Doctor, ASE certified, I owned my own practice for many years, I've seen it all, from loose nuts, to twisted shafts. Now reading your post It has become very clear to me that the JD 318 you have purchased has an psychotic attitude problem, the only cure is to bring it to me for retraining, I do this for only $100.00 an hour, it usually takes years to retrain, however I have no problem storing it for as long as it takes. We can set up an auto withdrawal for monthly payment. Once its retrained, I may need to keep it for a few more years to watch for further 318 psychosis which is common and very dangerous! The symptoms include it forcing you to spend every Saturday, and an occasional Sunday searching for its siblings so you can redeem them from their slavery and bring them home to set them free to live lives free from hard work, so they can show off their new paint and shiny implements in shows with your new friends who have had similar diagnosis.
Please PM me at your first opportunity for the address where you can drop off the poor hurting victim, and I'll be glad to show you how I also offer radical cashectomies on the spot with no long lines or ridiculous hassling with scheduling.

Dr Rand,,

I sure hope you have a good laugh and have a great time getting it fixed and enjoy using it! I have three now, and I dont really need any of them! OK, I spend time finding things to do with them, oh dear, it's me, I'm sick, i need another implement fixxxxxx. Green , I need Green, Give me GREEN, I am a doctor of Motors, I need something to fix!

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Professor Chuck is gonna love you Dr Rand (y) :).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Who is this up Chuck guy, oops, Yup Chuck, must be a real nut,, turner,, that is,, am I in trouble yet?
Noooo, don't send me to cub cadet purgatory, they just make fun of my green thumbs all day long,,,, it's like hel-(iarcing) all I see is yellooooow,,,.

·
Premium Member
9,199 Posts
No trouble yet -- and glad to see you conquered picture posting for your recently acquired 318 in the Deere Hunting thread. Check your PM/conversations page for some documents...

Once again -- Welcome!! Glad to see another enthusiast of both these fine vintage machines and with playing with the English language just for the fun of it.

Chuck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you kin to the Nigerian prince who keeps after me about sending money to save his impoverished equipment? :p
That, my friend who has more dollars than cents, is for me to know and you to find out!
The Doc,,,,
( of what,,,, who knows,)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts