Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked into building a metal building for my property in eastern Colorado and after the figures came in I decided to just buy a couple of shipping containers and MAYBE someday connect the two with a roof between them forming a garage type carport. I see these things being used all over and was never really attracted to the idea mainly for the sheer uglyness of CHINA SHIPPING on the sides and their puke colors but after seeing what can be bought I decided to buy the best container(s) I could. I ended up buying two new (one trip)40 footers that look great. I ordered two that is what I wanted, double doors on both ends, extra height at 9.5 feet, new one trippers, and 40 feet long.
A one trip container is one that was built in Asia, loaded with cargo, shipped across the ocean, unloaded, and put up for sale. If you can afford it, thats the way to go, I cann't see where these have been used at all really. The floor is brand new, the door gaskets are new and perfect, the ouside looks great with no company claim markings, and it matches the landscape of the area it will call home. As of this writing, one has been delivered and the second one will be delivered May 20th providing the weather is dry.
What do you think? I love it!

After experiencing buying a shipping container and looking around at others that I see, I'd like to pass along some friendly advice for anyone considering buying a shipping container for their property.
#1. Buy a new 1 trip container. The door gaskets, flooring, and paint will out last you. I am amazed on how new mine looks.
#2. Buy one with doors on both ends, even if you don't think you need them. Trust me, you'll love that feature.
#3. Buy the 40 foot container if you have room for one. The 20 footers cost almost the same as the 40s. .
#4. Buy the high cube style which means the ceiling is 9.5 feet tall.
#5. Make sure you buy a container that has the door handles that are like 4.5 feet from the ground. The containers with handles close to the ground are harder to open and close.
#6. DO NOT buy a weather beaten, salt rusted, 20 footer, 8 feet ceiling height, rotting door gaskets, low door handles, and it says "China Shipping" on its side for $1000 less even if you are saving money, have some class man, lol

Let's see what you have,,,,,

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,267 Posts
I often thought about using something like that, but haven't figured out prices nor logistics on getting one moved and put in place on my property. Other than the ugly factor that you mentioned, they would seem to be a good option for storage, depending on cost of everything.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I often thought about using something like that, but haven't figured out prices nor logistics on getting one moved and put in place on my property. Other than the ugly factor that you mentioned, they would seem to be a good option for storage, depending on cost of everything.
Most likely the seller either has a delivery option for you or knows someone who will deliver.They are being sold at such a rate that 2 didferent sellers told me the prices are going up almost weekly, if only by $20 or so. They told me mine would cost probably $1000 more here in 2 months or so... we'll see. I DO know mine are like $800 more than when I almost bought one 2 years ago. My seller delivered mine for the selling price but another seller wanted $600 to deliver and return to the place of business.($100 per hour, 6 hours)
One of mine cost $5135 including tax, free delivery.
You can buy the ugly worn ones for around $3500 to $4500 plus delivery.
Or I see them on Ebay cheaper but..... shipping may be costly.
So... Yes, I have $10K in two containers but that beats the $18K to $20 I was going to have in a 24x36 building.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Don't have a shipping container. They wanted about $4000 for new one around here and the used ones were $1500-2000 for a 20-30 foot long one that was beat up, broken doors etc.
I went this route but much nicer shape. Cost $1500 delivered and set on stone pad I made. 20'x8' wide, white with no markings on side so it doesn't stand out & look ugly.

Will try to get some pics this weekend.

Reactions: JDF/ SwampFox

·
Premium Member
9,199 Posts
Jerry,

I agree that buying a one-trip unit is the way to go. Another caution is to stay away from the insulated ones, as the insulation often has mice/rats (don't ask me how I know...)

At one point I bought a 20 or 30 foot unit (can't recall exactly) for my off-grid property in Mendocino county in California in the late 1970's because the unimproved gravel roads/grades/switchbacks would preclude a full 40 foot unit. Nothing gets you secure storage as fast as having one of these containers delivered.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Used car racing trailers are also a good option and can be even longer. Also they don't cause you to pay more in property taxes and is mobile. We have found that put with 150 snowmobiles. We have a few trailers detected for a certain type of sled. Like mine sleds or racing or air sleds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought two of these Home Depot Turbine roof vents for my Cans, I will have small screened 2 inch vents for the bottom to allow air flow. I'll install the 12 inch vent on the roof at one end and the smaller vents on the bottom sides of the opposite end to creat a draft. The roof vent is like the whirlyturbine but this has no moving parts, it's designed specially to create a draw with a slight breeze. The Container can reach high temps in the high altitude sun and ventilation for condensation is good also. Our container at my work has gas and chainsaws in it and it reeks of gasoline because of no vents, and it's not sealed as well as mine is. I figure with tractor stuff and log splitter etc, I need vents.

I used only my 322, garden plow, and rear blade to cut the ground level and get rid of excess dirt around the lot. Then I used my pull behind aerator cart to make it look nice. I got rained out and now am waiting for May 20th for deleivery of the second unit weather permitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Finally got some pictures of my box trailer shed. Sorry for the mess. My son already has most of his stuff inside & out.
Property Shed Transport Land lot Home
Wall Building Roof House Shed

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Cans are great,we have one at our hunt camp,this is water tight and it was free
Tree Tent

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Id thought about one of these. Would be hard to get it delivered though. Not a lot of places for a big truck to turn around, and with all the trees, it would be hard to find a good spot to put one.
Sure beats the heck out of a shed though!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Only issues I have connex boxes is the heat build up in them. When I have been in Afghanistan or Iraq or DJibouti we stay in connex box houses.

Heat build up for storage, as houses they put Mini-split ac/heat and windows and doors on them

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only issues I have connex boxes is the heat build up in them. When I have been in Afghanistan or Iraq or DJibouti we stay in connex box houses.

Heat build up for storage, as houses they put Mini-split ac/heat and windows and doors on them
Definately needs venting as I described in earlier posting...

·
Premium Member
9,199 Posts
Jerry,

Looks like a lot of quality storage fairly quickly! What is the separation between them that you will roof over? Are you planning trusses that span to the outside of each container to give snow shed and keep the containers cooler? I don't know how much snow you get at that location but expect a metal roof is a likely choice...

Keep us posted on your progress...

Chuck

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Jerry,

Looks like a lot of quality storage fairly quickly! What is the separation between them that you will roof over? Are you planning trusses that span to the outside of each container to give snow shed and keep the containers cooler? I don't know how much snow you get at that location but expect a metal roof is a likely choice...

Keep us posted on your progress...

Chuck

Chuck,
I set them at 20 feet apart for now figuring that is plenty of room for two vehicles to be parked side by side in between the units or even drive past each other. It's funny that no matter how much room I have, something is always in my way or parked where I need to be..
As far as covering the total roof of each containerI doubt that will happen since I'm not concerned about keeping them any cooler than what the vents will do. I won't be working in there like a work shop atmosphere and if I do I'll open both ends up, there is usually always a breeze out there. Where they are located I am not worried about snow load either, the wind blows so much that the snow moves to places where it drifts instead of piling up. I am "thinking" of maybe a 6 inch "I" beam across the units at each end and two in the middle at the 13.5' spacings, then build on that. Right now the beams would cost $1100 delivered to site. (I checked). With those in place I can use whatever seems to be the best cost and function. I'm considering steel "I beams" because I want to keep it low profile without a peak, just straight across. Of course this isn't going to happen until IF and WHEN we live there. The roof is just a thought for now, I do not need a roof since I live 145 miles away from them right now. Out there in eastern Colorado WIND is the biggest factor. BTW, with the vents I installed they seem to maintain outside temperature pretty well, I'm not worried about coldness. The little shed will come out from between them also...someday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Love my container.. my shop is on a main highway so i was worried the city would make me remove it. Subsequently i leased the container. Yes, it will bake your stuff in the summer unfortunately i cant start drilling holes in this one... I did have 6 318's in there ( mine is a 20' box ) now that i got rid of all my 3xx series tractors its full of implements !

good stuff !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Joe,
I like the way you did the platform for additional storage above the GTs.:thumb: I'm gonna have to fab up some thing like that to get the small stuff off the floor and have more room.

I also see NJ DOT stills uses pure salt on the roads down there. Grew up in Sussex and they were the same when I was a kid. Car wash I worked at in high school always did a brisk business after a snowfall.

Reactions: jake_vc and KB

·
Registered
61 Posts
John, yup... i intend on building a couple shelves for my other small implements, small tractor tires etc along one side of the container. then ill hang some ladders on the other side.. i have a bunch of jd snowthrowers, brooms tillers,and plows that are a lil too wide to make 2 rows...

ill have to purge some of them at some point as well..

Joe

·
Registered
621 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. I've been looking for some inexpensive storage space for my 14 foot boat and Ford 9n tractor. I checked my local Craigslist and it looks like I could get a decent 40 footer delivered for about $3000. Probably enough space for my boat, the 9n and a couple garden tractors.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's been 10 months since I bought my containers and the price for the exact same unit is selling for $1300 more than what I paid for mine.
An 8 X 9.5 X 40ft, double doors both ends, one trip, container is now $6300 plus taxes and delivery. I certainly don't regret owning them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts