Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I know, I know, not another one of these posts. But, was just wondering if anyone has tried Shell Spirax S3 TLV fluid? It seems to fit the bill as a replacement and is JDM J20D compliant. I live in Manitoba, Canada so winters get really cold and could benefit from the low vis properties. I know most of you will recommend sticking with JD fluid and I have yet to even price out the difference. If it's close I'll just stick to JD fluid but if there's a big difference I might try it out. I'm aware it could end up costing a lot more in repair costs but I think Shell makes quality fluids. I like their Rotella engine oil. Just as added info I have a 1986 430.

Thanks for the help,
Randy

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm a Rotella engine oil user also and I do use the JD low viz as well.
But you have some special considerations living in Manitoba.
Check thoroughly before the cold weather comes.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Welcome to WFM! Always good to see another Manitoban on the site. The JD low vis isn't crazy expensive, especially in a 10 liter jug. I'm quite sure it was under $5 a liter.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Right on, I'll just get some of that then. Ever try the dye to see it better in the sight glass?
I recently did a hydro fluid change with Hygard low vis fluid . I also purchased the red dye and with an eye dropper added 10 drops per gallon . It made the fluid VERY red and easy to see in the site tube . I highly recommend it .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts