Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just purchased a used 1997 John Deere LX178 Motorsports Edition tractor in good condition. I collect motorsports themed garden tractors and this happens to be my first John Deere. I am have been trying to research the history of this machine and found some neat factory ads, but haven't found much else. I was wondering if there was any database with production numbers for this special edition model (so far I haven't been able to find anything online). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
:welcome:

I'm not sure,but I think I did see a thread, or at least a pic on here one time of one. Not much help, but someone else is sure to chime in.

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
At the time JD was sponsoring a Nascar race car and this tractor was part of the advertising. There was nothing special about the tractor except the paint decal job. Roger

·
Registered
11 Posts
When You purchased the JD LX178 Motorsport Edition in 1997 you also got a Motorsport Jacket and special key ring with it. I'm supposing they did not come with the tractor? And if you damaged the hood and needed new decals you had to send the old decals back to get new ones.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great find! I have had two of the STX38 Motorsports over the years. I needed the space and sold the first one. I have seen pictures of the LX178 but not one in person. I had heard that on the STX38 edition they had a 13.5 hp engine, instead of the 13hp, and could only be had with the 5 speed and black deck. Post up some pics..love to see it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to find an original jacket that would have came with the tractor, but I'm still looking for an original key ring in case anyone has one they would like to sell. I know the decals are about impossible to find now, I was unaware that you actually had to send the old ones back to get replacements. Fortunately mine are in pretty good shape and my hood is not cracked. Thanks for sharing all of this information!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts