Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 15 years or so...the old axe has been my go-to for wood splitting, or my '70s Barkbuster screw-type splitter. Now in my mid 30s...with house, family, unending chores and responsibilities and working 12 hour shifts for the railroad day in and day out....I just need a splitter thats a little easier and quicker to use. I am true to my country and boycott anything made in China...are there any respectable USA made brands of log splitters still available..that actually have parts made here and are built here? I see several on the inter web, but just wondering if anybody has first hand experience or reviews about a certain brand. Thanks a lot,

Dow

Here's a picture of the ol' Barkbuster. I got it for free several years ago...DEAD.....but she lives on now....mostly for the fun of it....not very efficient, unless hooked to a 3 point on a tractor. Gotta respect this machine.

Tree Wood Logging Plant Wood chopping

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Neat machine,never seen/heard of one before

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I have many cords split with a jd, I think it's a #2 tow behind splitter. It never failed to split a log, but some nasty ones took patience.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ariens from Brillion, Wisconsin has made log splitters for a couple of years now. There stuff is usually made in the USA and of good quality.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Dow, that Barkbuster is a neat machine. They made one that bolted to the axle on the rear of a car or truck after you jacked it up and removed the tire and wheel. A good friend of mine dragged me to an auction 25 or 30 years ago where there was one listed. He got it for maybe 5 bucks and put it to use on his little gentleman farm. I need to go see where that thig is now. If I find it over at his place, I will get some pictures and post them.

Mitch Daly :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha! Ya, I've seen one mitch. It's still being made, not sure why anybody would be this desperate to use it...but its called "The Stickler". check it out and see if its the same thing you remember. I still haven't found a respectable US made splitter that I can afford.....so I just reverted back to swinging an axe. But...I upgraded to a much newer, easier on my hands axe. The Fiskars X27. What a difference a well made tool makes. Made in Finland, not China. I don't miss swinging an axe, but its getting the job done.

dow

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've read about the Fiskars but never tried one. Sounds like maybe I should!

Mitch

·
Registered
37 Posts
This was made in SC, but now resides in IN. I built it when I lived in SC a few years. You don't really need one there, but I knew I would be returning to IN where I would put it to use. Sorry, I don't have the time to make you one! When doing research, I often go to the rental companies to see what they have as most of their stuff you would think need to stand up to abuse and be reliable.
Vehicle Machine Wheel Vehicle Vehicle Trailer Machine Car Soil

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welp...I finally got my made in USA log splitter!!! So happy! I'm not 100% sure what make it is....it's sold under the Montgomery Wards label, but I think it's a Didier? 10 1/2 ton with a 5hp Briggs @ Stratton. I picked it up yesterday for a couple hundred bucks, and I tested it with the gnarliest knotty round of pine that I had, it ripped it to shreds. Anybody know for sure what make this machine is?

Thanks,

Dow

Vehicle Formula libre Trailer Chassis Wheel Vehicle Trailer Grass Soil Vehicle Car Walk-behind mower Outdoor power equipment Soil

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not sure where they are built but, I've been renting a splitter from a local hardware store for years. It's called a "split fire" they are double action with a two stage pump, powered by a Honda. Worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Its a somewhat sad end to a classic. Not the end but the end of original.

If it has the 2 stage pump from a #2 or #4 from a 400 it's probably a competitive splitter. Ive done about a 100 cord on a #2 as family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They go good to-gether! This one i have is awfully similar to a no. 4 or 5 JD splitter. didier made splitters sold under many different names.....are some of the JD splitters didier?

Dow Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Wheel Grass

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
This is the best Canadian made log splitter. A Wallenstein, they are made in Ontario by the Menonites.Mine is brand new, but my buddy whose business is firewood has 2 that are 20+ years old. Aside from changing the odd hose from cracking they are still going strong. I sold him one of his 2 20 years ago. These things will split wood all day long everyday.
Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Soil Outdoor power equipment

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
This is the best Canadian made log splitter. A Wallenstein, they are made in Ontario by the Menonites.Mine is brand new, but my buddy whose business is firewood has 2 that are 20+ years old. Aside from changing the odd hose from cracking they are still going strong. I sold him one of his 2 20 years ago. These things will split wood all day long everyday.
View attachment 232626
That would look good behind a blue hooded/seat patio 140.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
I should've mentioned that they are available in all the popular tractor colours as well as realtree camo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts