Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 214 with the manual PTO and when the engine is cold I can move the PTO pulley back and forth by hand and also watch the lever engage/disengage. As soon as the motor heats up the pulley/PTO will not disengage either by lever or pulling it out by hand (with fork removed). Any idea what is going on? I don't think it would be an adjustment issue since I can't pull it away with the fork removed. It's as if the friction material expands so much thst it locks itself together. I haven't pulled the pulley off yet to look at the friction material, but figured I'd ask the crew here first.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You need to pull the clutch cone and clean it out inside and regrease the bearing in there with a light coat of high temp grease. And clean the friction material too. I run my 212 without the right engine side panel for this reason in summer. It’s a messy job, enjoy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Your bearing grease on the PTO has liquified and found its way to the friction material of the PTO causing it to get stick and not dissengage. You will need to remove the PTO brake, then remove the PTO. Clean everything thoroughly with brake cleaner. Scuff the friction mating surfaces with emery cloth and clean again with brake cleaner. Regrease the bearing with just enough high temp grease so that it doesn't ooze all over the place. This is an application where more is not better. Reassemble and you should be good to go. Check PTO alignment while your add it too.

Hec

1 - 3 of 3 Posts