Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1990 John Deere 318
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to introduce myself, and show off my machine. My name is Michael and I am the proud owner of this 1990 John Deere 318. The tractor had 580 hours on it when I purchased it on Easter 2022, and I’ve got around 615 now.

I picked the tractor up with old dry rotted Ags on the rear and stock turfs on the front, and replaced them with the 26x12x12 Carlisle HD Field Trax and on the front 18x8.5x8 V61’s. I can’t say enough good things about these tires, I highly recommend them! The rears are mounted in the wide position. There is roughly a 1/2” from tire to depth wheels on the 50” deck. They fit just right! The front left will hit the steering cylinder at full turn, so be mindful if you go this route. They are mounted onthe stock wheels.

The tractor came with a 50” high lift deck, I put some gator high lift blades on it and it cuts awesome! With the help of a buddy we built a schute flapper using a cheap window motor and a construction sign, and it works really well for containing the grass in and around the mulch beds, with the simple push of the switch.

At some point in the tractors life someone put JB weld around the gromets in the gas tank, and the lines were dry rotted so I replaced all the lines, grommets, filter, and that fixed the surging I was fighting from time to time.

I was lucky enough to find a John Deere 15 lawn cart that was owned by an old woman who had hardly used it, and was able to snag it for only $100.00.

My dad, who got me into these tractors, moved to Texas a few years ago and was kind enough to give me his 54” 4-way blade.

I am still looking for some rear weights, and a cab enclosure, if anyone has any leads, im willing to travel, or use fastenel to ship it on my dime. I’m located in Westminster, MD.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks for being a great community!

- Michael
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Plant

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Plant

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Sky

Wheel Plant Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Tractor Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

· Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Welcome to WFM Micheal

Reactions: wilder318

· Registered
3,352 Posts
Welcome to WFM!
She’s a beaut Clark!

Reactions: wilder318

· Registered
1990 John Deere 318
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see these tractors go around here from anywhere from $50 to $700. Just remember, despite what it is, your still buying something (lawnmower) that is decades old and you are going to be putting money into it.
I don’t mind throwing money at it, I’ve got a few other projects as well, and enjoy working on them. On the other forum pages I’m a part of a lot of guys have a signature with modifications and such they’ve done to their machines, just figured I’d pass it along!

· Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Michael,

Your low hour vintage tractor is worthy of your attention, and it certainly looks sharp in all the pictures above! The 15 cart is a solid metal unit for a later year model. Just in case you do not have the parts list for it, find a PDF attached below, along with some sales literature on the 7, 10, 15 cart lineup.

Yes, a rusted and abused older tractor can go for just a few hundred bucks as Rojldee89 observed, but yours is far from that! If Roj can find a neglected but complete tractor for a couple hundred in his neck of the woods, he should get it and join in the fun and satisfaction of bringing one back to life... The above was his first and only post so far, so we will see in the future what level of interest prompted him to join our forum -- hopefully he will continue to post and we can have some enlightening conversations. Questions and opinions are always welcome...and we all like to see pictures of any projects in progress.

Chuck

Attachments

· Registered
1990 John Deere 318
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael,

Your low hour vintage tractor is worthy of your attention, and it certainly looks sharp in all the pictures above! The 15 cart is a solid metal unit for a later year model. Just in case you do not have the parts list for it, find a PDF attached below, along with some sales literature on the 7, 10, 15 cart lineup.

Yes, a rusted and abused older tractor can go for just a few hundred bucks as Rojldee89 observed, but yours is far from that! If Roj can find a neglected but complete tractor for a couple hundred in his neck of the woods, he should get it and join in the fun and satisfaction of bringing one back to life... The above was his first and only post so far, so we will see in the future what level of interest prompted him to join our forum -- hopefully he will continue to post and we can have some enlightening conversations. Questions and opinions are always welcome...and we all like to see pictures of any projects in progress.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck for the warm welcome and the files! I’ve creeped your profile many times as I see your name pop up all over this site with many words of wisdom! I was pretty excited when I saw you hopped on this thread as you’re kind of a celebrity! I’m a big fan of your work with the 5 lug front wheels and will eventually try and tackle that project once I find a second tractor and can really take my time on this 318! Glad to be apart of the community!
- Michael

· Registered
57 Posts
Welcome! It's a great community here, yes it's also a disease, a green one, I think I have it too, its like this,, a guy (Me) sees a 140 for free, he drags it home, makes it work, but its really rough, he sees a 300 for sale cheap, buys it, drags it home, nice, builds a shed to put them in, sees a 318, buys it, it comes with blade, tiller and mower, build bigger shed, needs a front end loader, finds one buys the clapped out 318 with it, cant see parting it so it gets put back together too, now one has three point on the back FEL on the front, another has blade on front tiller on back, another for mowing, but i just found another loader that needs a machine, so mower goes to the 300, ....
And I smile every time I start one,
Again, Welcome,
R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts