Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with experience want to share this loader mounting? Or direct me to the threads that will help? First thing I need is pump help. I have the original with a splined female input collar. I believe this was mounted to a 300 with Koehler. I also have unknown pump with pulley I could possibly fab up a plate to hold it and run it by belt to the pto. Thoughts and help so greatly appreciated!! Thanks! B
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I've never messed with a Model 20 loader, but ! Remove the elbow from the pump wit the splined shaft! Your system pressure will be at lease 800psi and that fitting is rated at 150psi!
Next, try to find info on pump with pulley...displacement, output pressure, rpm, direction of rotation.

Splined coupling appears to be, probably homemade ! Try to get coupling off of pump and see what configuration is on pump shaft. Couplings can be found online. Bob

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does help a lot! Thanks 👍🏻👍🏻 Pic shows it on a 400. I was assured it came off 300 series. Will start measuring. As far as pump goes, I’m sure I’ll get there, later probably before sooner, lol!

·
Registered
212 Posts
shows it on a 400. I was assured it came off 300 series
I am pretty sure a JD Model 20 and a Johnson ARPS Model 27 are the same loader, just the Model 20 was rebadged and sold by John Deere specifically for the 400 tractor. The pump input is splined for the 400’s front driveshaft pto. Most of these loader manufacturers (kwik-way, Johnson, ARK, etc) built the actual loader all the same and just built separate brand-specific subframes to fit different tractors. That said, I don’t think the 20/27 had a separate subframe. The subframe is attached to the loader uprights and wraps all the way back to the rear axle tube, which may make it hard to adapt to anything other than a 400, but would be quite valuable to the right person in unmodified form.

If you can confirm my thought that the Deere 20 and Johnson 27 are the same, you may have more luck researching a Model 27 on a 318 series.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking 🤔,... the 400 is approximately 2”wider on the frame front. What if I take 1” steel and drill it to make up the space. Then it’s a matter of figuring out how to bolt the rear arms on?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I am pretty sure a JD Model 20 and a Johnson ARPS Model 27 are the same loader, just the Model 20 was rebadged and sold by John Deere specifically for the 400 tractor. The pump input is splined for the 400’s front driveshaft pto. Most of these loader manufacturers (kwik-way, Johnson, ARK, etc) built the actual loader all the same and just built separate brand-specific subframes to fit different tractors. That said, I don’t think the 20/27 had a separate subframe. The subframe is attached to the loader uprights and wraps all the way back to the rear axle tube, which may make it hard to adapt to anything other than a 400, but would be quite valuable to the right person in unmodified form.

If you can confirm my thought that the Deere 20 and Johnson 27 are the same, you may have more luck researching a Model 27 on a 318 series.
I had a Johnson 27 and the control valve/levers were on the right side of loader. Not sure but I think Johnson also had a 25.

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
135 Posts
It does help a lot! Thanks 👍🏻👍🏻 Pic shows it on a 400. I was assured it came off 300 series. Will start measuring. As far as pump goes, I’m sure I’ll get there, later probably before sooner, lol!
Is this the one that was on facebook marketplace in massachusetts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes! In Whitman. I search 3 times a day. Never even saw it. My friend sent me the link, said “it’s been on for a week or so”!!!! Omg!! How did I not see it?!!!! Anyway I basically raced down there and threw the money at him. Should have done more research. Anyway maybe I can make it work,.... I don’t really want to buy a 400, love the Koehler’s but, really love my onan’s!!! Going to do this one next. Leaking rear main. Maybe more,...,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! In Whitman. I search 3 times a day. Never even saw it. My friend sent me the link, said “it’s been on for a week or so”!!!! Omg!! How did I not see it?!!!! Anyway I basically raced down there and threw the money at him. Should have done more research. Anyway maybe I can make it work,.... I don’t really want to buy a 400, love the Koehler’s but, really love my onan’s!!! Going to do this one next. Leaking rear main. Maybe more,...,
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
JDGuy,

Like most loaders of that era, these attachments are rugged when mounted but not really easy to take on and off. Most members here tend to have a 'dedicated' loader tractor that has the loader kept on it all the time. Given that, you can most likely make the few needed adjustments to the mounting points to get it to work on the 318. As you noted, the issues with attaching/driving the pump may end up being the most work in the conversion. Don't forget, a shaft driven pump like the one the loader came with MAY not be tolerant of the side bearing loads of a pulley drive setup -- so maybe the other pump you pictured in the early part of this thread is a better bet. Are they the same displacement? Same working pressure and RPM rating?

Chuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey chuck! I have no idea of the displacement, pressure ect. I’ll look into it. If it was designed with a small pulley driving it, it’s going to spin slower with the big pulley on the pto. I’m not worried about speed or working it hard. I have a 90hp backhoe for that. This will be my dedicated favorite for running out to my boneyard to grab parts and tractors. I have 3 318’s and they are all dedicated to one task. 2 316’s for spares. And working on more. This particular tractor has a 3 point and I have forks coming for the rear. So yes, once it’s on it stays. After I get it the way I want it I might tear it all down and restore but she looks pretty good right now all muddied up! Thanks! Brenainn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent info! Thanks! Read the thread am am printing out the manual. Pump looks similar/same. Appreciated! If I do fab up a mounting plate it will be rugged and protect the pump from underneath. That’s if I can fit it in there! If I can’t fit it below I may have to go to the side,...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey chuck! I have no idea of the displacement, pressure ect. I’ll look into it. If it was designed with a small pulley driving it, it’s going to spin slower with the big pulley on the pto. I’m not worried about speed or working it hard. I have a 90hp backhoe for that. This will be my dedicated favorite for running out to my boneyard to grab parts and tractors. I have 3 318’s and they are all dedicated to one task. 2 316’s for spares. And working on more. This particular tractor has a 3 point and I have forks coming for the rear. So yes, once it’s on it stays. After I get it the way I want it I might tear it all down and restore but she looks pretty good right now all muddied up! Thanks! Brenainn
You sound like a handy guy to know ! Lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m thinking if I can make a collar to go from 1 7/16 output shaft to 1/2” pump shaft I eliminate the belt, ratios, use the pump designed at the right speed.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts