Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I don’t really want to buy a 400
Need any reason beyond more toys?
You probably could visit Canada and grab one without its owner (Army) noticing one missing. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I built and sold 30 tractors last year. Took the money and bought my backhoe. All my tractors except for my first 318 were bought as non running junkers that I brought back to life. Building my 3rd 316 now. Got a 140 and 300 to do next. Got 6 100 series ready for spring sales and another 10 to build. I started my business by building custom saws, big ones, 111 cc’s for milling that can run a 6’bar. Did over 60 snowblowers 3 years ago and bought my first Deere rider. A 130. Rebuilt the transmission and now I’ve gone absolutely mad! Lol. Point is, I started with nothing, cheers! B

·
Registered
756 Posts
130? That's almost funny as my first LT/GT was the 185, the 130's big hydrostat brother.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Brenainn,

Sounds familiar -- I rebuilt the little Deere machines to resell as a side gig and ended up keeping a few for my own herd. Many of the issues with the non-running machines are fuel or electrical systems --both of which are easy for me to diagnose. Also did some "off color" machines like the Wheel Horse and even a Toro Workman turf maintenance machine similar to the big Pro Gators. It is easy to sell this stuff if you buy it right and don't ask crazy prices when it comes time to sell...

I no longer have a shop building nor any acreage so all that fun wrenching and electrical restoration is in the past now, but I can relate to how this self funding hobby actually adds to the disposable income.

Bought this for $425...sold for $2800
front quarter view.jpg

bought this for $50...sold for $450
Wheel Horse 1981 C-145   01-14KE02 .jpg

Bought these for $125...sold for about $400 (did not have to do anything except an igniter...)
RX95 view 1.jpg

Bought the 2004 diesel X495 from a cemetery for 1800...sold for $4600
moving cargo trailer with x495 and Al Z load lifter.jpg

...and I had lots of fun!!!

Chuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That’s awesome Chuck! I have a real job as a union bricklayer and do this in my off time. I’m 52 now so my retirement plan is JD green to supplement my pension. When it stops being fun, I’ll do something else. Rebuilt my first motor when I was 11 and been playing with them ever since! I usually don’t pay more than 50-100 for a 100 series and they need minimal to total rebuild. I charge top prices but I give warranty and endless customer support. I take care of everyone like family and it keeps snowballing. I’m still a kid at heart when I jump on a tractor or roll the coal off a rebuild of something that someone gave up on!!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
That's great!! You will have lots of enjoyment ahead with the little green and yellow machines. I'm 76 this year and kind of miss the shop work, but we have a retirement home now ( I worked in video engineering and compression until recently, just gave that up at age 74...) so not a lot of room to get something torn down and scattered. But I still like to help out here on the forums with troubleshooting discussions, etc.

Chuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well on behalf of the whole wfm community, thanks!! I enjoy learning, I learn so much from these forums. The day I stop learning is the day I sell my tools. I have picked up some great tricks along the way. I still have people on eBay picking my brain about saws and I have passed up a lot of repairs/sales by troubleshooting for folks on thier JD’s so they can repair themselves. The best thing is I’ve met so many great people on the net and traveling to buy tractors and working with about 6 other JD local guys. We all watch out for each other, sending links, answering questions, making inquiries for another so we don’t miss a deal ect. Fun hobby!! I hope to get into traveling to auctions, and meeting some folks thier as well. Have a Greene day!! 🍀🚜

·
Registered
61 Posts
You've had some pretty good scores and thats the trick to it buy it cheap fix it cheap and sell it cheaper than others on the market thats how I roll I've become an expert turd polisher over the years if you can get it too shine it'll sell.Lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a 20 loader on a 400, they are for the 400 only due to the loader frame. The pump with the splined shaft slides on to the front PTO. If your tractor doesn't have a front PTO then you could possibly rig it up to use the mid-PTO. I don't know what that pump with the Pulley is for, that is not part of the 20 loader/400 set up. If you are determined to use this on a 318 I think you have two options.

1. Rig the pump to work on either the front PTO or mid- PTO. Either you will have to rig up a custom mount for the front PTO. If you use the mid-PTO you could possibly install a slip collar like you see on the mower decks. You will need to check the direction of rotation for the mid-PTO. If it is different than the front PTO, I am not sure how that affect pump operation but it may not work. If that Cessna pump is done for or you need a reverse rotation pump you can get a pump from Surplus Center.com. I tried to get one from Cessna but never could get one. This was back in 2010-12 so I am sure time has not helped. I had to do a custom mount for my pump because I had to replace it. I never could get it too last because hanging the pump on the end of the front PTO caused too much vibration and killed the pump.

2. The other thing I have see is people plumb the load straight into the onboard hydraulics of the tractor. You will have a REALLY SLOW operating loader though. If you tap into the onboard pump they generally only have enough flow for the hydro, power steering, and to lift/lower an attachment. Adding a FEL to it will tax the pump out.

You will still need to modify the frame to get it to fit the 318 though. I would hate to see an original 20 loader frame cut up to work on a 318.

To be honest I would sell the 20 Loader and look for the correct loader for the 318.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I appreciate your wisdom and well thought out reply. I to agree 100% with everything you mentioned. I had not thought of pump possibly working in reverse rotation. There’s no enough room behind pump for anything but pto shaft. I have thought of a slip collar that will work on the front pto but as you mentioned it may vibrate too much. My intention is to mount it in a way that I do not cut or sacrifice to loader in anyway. I would love to find a 44. They are rare. Took me a year to find this loader. If I put 2” wheel spacers on the rear I’ll have the clearance I need to keep subframe entact. I am still in search of a 44 or a 400 tractor to put it on. I’m not concerned about loader speed as it will be worked very little as I have a backhoe for that. More for front counterweight and for moving/carrying parts and tractors. I’m taking everything into consideration, thank you sir!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I had a Brantly on a 400. Had a front pump mounted on the PTO but it was still slow. I'm not real patient with that sort of thing so it might have been just fine to most guys. I still have the 400 but I eventually sold the loader ..only to regret it a lot a few years later. I sincerely wish I had a do-over on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
How does the 400 run and operate compared to the 318? I love my onans, how does the twin kohler compare? Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts

Facebook, it looks a little tired but it's been posted for a while. He might take a lowball.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Looks like it’s been used commercially. Number 23 of the fleet. Might be worth it to someone but I’ll pass at this moment. Thanks for helping though. Appreciated! 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anytime! Yes, was wondering about the number. Fleet use makes sense, also given the general tired look. I wonder how many hours it has.

I'll keep my eye out.

There was another 455 that was just listed as "lawn mower" that I missed by about 10 minutes. The lady who sold it said she got 600 bucks for it (and it had a few attachments too).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oh man, the random off listing good stuff is what I always miss out on!! Can’t wrench all day and search web endlessly!! That’s why I network with JD guys. They send me links and I do the same. Got half my machines this way!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts