Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1975 400 I am considering selling. I have a 60" deck with it. The mainshaft for the mower gearbox was bad. I bought new bearings for it and have the new shaft. The engine was running good but it smoked at high rpms. The fuel pump crapped out on it but it ran fine on a test remote tank feeding with gravity to test to see if it was the fuel pump. I am in southern nh if you are interested let me know. Headlight is back on.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
How does the 400 run and operate compared to the 318? I love my onans, how does the twin kohler compare? Thanks!
The 400 doesn't turn as sharp as a 318, and generally parts would be harder to find, but they are good solid tractors. The K532 and K582 Kohlers are good engines, but do have a problem of losing oil pressure when the rods wear and clearance increases. But Onans have some problems too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks for the reply. They look very similar in design. I checked and gaskets are available. I guess if I got one I’d do compression test. If it passed I’d pull it and do a complete top end rebuild and clean sludge from oil pan. That’s what I do with the onans and they run like new. If it still smokes after that and is on the low end of compression specs maybe I’d go a bit further and do rings, check rod tolerances. Thanks for your info! B

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks to my new friend (a very talented machinist, btw) a1cnc, I picked up the 400 this morning. He started it at 15 degrees so I’m guessing the motor must be good shape. She drove on her own power onto the trailer and is now home at the Deere Farm! I am elated! Thanks very much Eric!
D90DC1F9-F1CA-4942-8447-8F4FE36DE7C4.jpeg
4828CE95-3356-477E-9BB3-31F33D6A5C8A.jpeg

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sweet!

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am glad you got it home:) I look forward to reading about the rest of the journey getting the loader mounted on it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ya I can’t wait to start on it! Plenty of time right now. No laying bricks in single digit temps and 18” of snow! 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I did order the ruegg 3 pt. for it. Next will be rubber and a decal set for the loader so I can paint it. Wondering if I should find an inline hydro filter or will it tax the old Cessna pump too much?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Install filter in return line and put a valve on each side of filter...otherwise you'll drain the system when changing the filter! Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I see you have a York rake. I wouldn’t mind finding one for one of my machines. I tend to make a mess of things running the backhoe when the ground gets soft.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Ag shops/farm supplies (maybe Northern Hydraulics ??) usually have the best prices. Mine was for a Cat 1 hitch, but a few new Cat 0 pins and some bushings, and no problems with my Cat 0 3-pt. Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So I ran into my first obstacle with the 400. Bad u joint on the driveshaft. So thinking about it a used one won’t have had grease either for the past 40 years. So there’s some threads on here of guys fixing thier own driveshafts but the pics are gone. Also mother Deere has them for 800 and a custom builder can make them for 500 with greaseable u joints. First I have to get the old one out. The collar that bolts to the flywheel is rusted onto the front of the shaft. I have it soaking and put some heat to it today. Does it have a key way? I did remove the roll pin. Thanks!
B590AAA0-4461-4E11-907E-1DF3B68D1E0B.jpeg
E352BBAB-80A8-4EDB-B74E-C72CD79200C1.jpeg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I got the driveshaft off thanks to JDALCHEMIST! Off to fedex now to send out the driveshaft. Will start working on the motor today. Might as well freshen up the top end and give her a good cleaning! Thanks 👍🏻

·
Registered
19 Posts
DAM! The tractor flew apart into pieces already!
I am glad to see it found the right home. Not having any indoor space to work on it limited what I could do. I wonder if the old u-joint could be pressed out and a new one pressed in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey! Unfortunately the driveshafts are non repairable and non greasable. Now some guys have repaired theirs by grinding out the cups and using a bunch of different parts. There’s a great thread on this site that explains it in detail but it’s from 2006 and the pics are gone. I sent it to the expert who has done this before, it will return with new joints that are greasable. The cast is minimal compared to what I’ve been looking at and he’s really doing me a solid! These things come up with any 40 year old tractor. I can now spend some time tinkering with the motor, gasket kit on the way. Got the 3 pt. in from Ruegg yesterday! Anyway fun fun project and have the time right now to take my time and do it right! Cheers and thanks! B

41 - 60 of 63 Posts