Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere 317 #1046648 and 33 Tiller
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here as of May 6th. I made a post in the new member's area about my new 317 and tiller. A member sent me PDFs on the tractor and the engine but I am still looking for the tiller. I found a post for a 33 tiller PDF and tried asking for a copy there but I don't know if the post is too old. I am hoping the right person will see this post and would be willing to send me the tiller PDF. My tiller works but I don't really know all the ins and outs of using it, any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected] if it needs to be sent by email. I am really enjoying being a part of WFMachines. Thanks to everyone who has reached out so far, this is a great community!

·
Registered
1989 318
2,525 Posts
Welcome. I just picked up a 33 Tiller also and know basically nothing about it. It was local and affordable so I just had to give it a new home! Tom

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Gearbox is same as used on model 49 snow thrower. There is a s/n break on that gearbox when it went from 3 bolt to 4 bolt mount. There was also change to the helical gears in the box. Not sure if both changes occurred at same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. I just picked up a 33 Tiller also and know basically nothing about it. It was local and affordable so I just had to give it a new home! Tom
That's cool Tom congrats on the new attachment!
Search “33” on this site
There’s 2 serial breaks last I checked for the manuals so you’ll have to check your tillers serial tag.
That worked really well thank you deere317. I think I have an early tiller, 1979?
Yellow Paint Font Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gearbox is same as used on model 49 snow thrower. There is a s/n break on that gearbox when it went from 3 bolt to 4 bolt mount. There was also change to the helical gears in the box. Not sure if both changes occurred at same time.
Thanks Gabby, I did not know that. Hopefully I will not need parts but now I where to look should something happen

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Gearbox is very expensive to rebuild. Even harder to find a used one. I did find a used one I want to use to power a rear mounted sickle mower.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Gearbox is very expensive to rebuild. Even harder to find a used one. I did find a used one I want to use to power a rear mounted sickle mower.
Yup, it sure is.
When I bought my 33 tiller the gearbox was in pieces. fortunately it came with new gears. Had to buy the bearings and seals from Deere. Those alone were $175. Worth the money and headache as it now works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts