Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this blade in the middle of one the many snows we had last Winter. Just got it back together. It is not restored but refurbished. I thought I would show some pictures as it is done for this year. I made some skids for it using wheels but don't think they are going to work out so does anyone know a source for the original skids. I think the ones for early CC will work but I am open to any option. Roger

·
Registered
166 Posts
Roger.

Looks Good! Try your local Polaris dealer. I had bought a pair a few years ago, for my 42 blade. Keep in mind they were different threads, so I only used the bottom bases for they matched what the 42 blade skids were. I think your wheels may work out just fine though...
Jerry

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Nice job on the blade, Roger. With your hard surfaced drive I think the wheels will work well. You probably will get a chance to try them out soon and let us know for sure.

You always come up with good original ideas for improvements for "real world" use. My son's blade came without the skids too. He had these truck body mount washers that resemble the skids. We used a carriage bolt with the square shoulder turned to round and a couple nuts to mount them. The unthreaded shoulder was long enough to jam the nut and let the washer float. We have gravel drives so nothing like this works well, but better than nothing.

tommyhawk

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
I'm not sure if the wheels would work, but I have often thought anything would work better than the skid shows on gravel. But without trying something out, I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom the body mounts look like a good idea. I have the fabrication tools so I could fill the bolt depression with weld. I will spend the Winter looking for 2 1/2 inch round disks and see what I can find. What were those body mounts off of. I do have one skid left and time to try and copy it. As the picture shows it is not in the best of shape. Roger

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Roger,
Looks good!
Wheels might be OK for paved drive.
As for skids, I have an old wrought iron patio table that has adjustable feet. They are similar to your old skids. About 1-1/2" - 2" in diameter, but the threaded bolt is not as long though. Just an idea.
John

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The skid wheels probably will not work. I mounted them 4 different ways today and they work with blade angled one notch to the right or left. If you put full angle on the blade right or left the front wheels hit the blade wheels. I will try it this Winter and continue to look for the original kind of skids. Several ATV plows have basically the right thing. To bad its not still 1966 as the skids were $1.45 at that time. Roger

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Roger,
Found these on E**y. Search ATV plow skids. Price Ranged $9-$27 depending on make/style. Something like that may work.

John

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Roger, what we used came from the bottom side of the rubber "donut" cab mounts from a GM pickup. I don't what year these came from but the ones on my old '93 Silverado standard cab look just like them.
We let them rotate on the bolt. Haven't used the blade enough to see how long they will last. Might not last long on blacktop or concrete!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ken I have the dimensions and ended up ordering some that are for a Polaris UTV. Hopefully they will work well. The dimensions are simple. The treaded part is 1.2-20 by 2.5 inches long and the circle is also 2.5 inches in diameter. Roger

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Ha, Ha! Your brain was turned on, the fingers just weren't paying attention.
I was wondering if you had considered mounting the wheels you have inboard a little farther to clear the tires. If you add to the length of the mount, maybe it could be done without adding any more holes to the blade. Clear as mud, eh? My brain may not be in gear right now!

tommyhawk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.