Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I've got a John Deere Model 111 with a Briggs 11HP vertical shaft engine.
Is this model sort of like a neglected step child?
The reason I ask is because none of the forums seem to mention this model, and because the model number 111 being located between the Model numbers 110 and 112....both of which are pretty large tractors with Kohler engines while the 111 is smaller with a Briggs engine.
I'm curious as to why this tractor was given the Model Number 111, and if there is any great demand for this tractor?
I have the carburetor off now and waiting for a kit. I have a problem with engine speed and the idle. I just hope that it doesn't involve the engine internals of the governor because it will rev. very high with very little throttle control.
The reason I'm rebuilding the carb is because it will actually sling gasoline out of the breather hole when running with the breather off.
Any ideas?
Thanks for any response
steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 111 that I have is apparently a 1979 Model with a 11 HP Briggs engine.
Tractor Model 111 serial #M00111S300663.
Briggs 11 HP vertical shaft engine Serial #253707-0155-01-83121511.
It just seems like this tractor fell thru the cracks somewhere as I cant locate any info about it on this forum.
thanks
steve

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Steve

I too am an owner of a JD111 (a hydro, so it is actually a 111H). I too noticed a tendency to overlook these little guys but discovered in my reading throughout WFM that *everyone* here is really decent and helpful - you just need to hope the right person or persons sees your post.

The 111/111H, the 112L, the 116/116H and others in the 100 series are actually "lawn tractors" and not "GARDEN TRACTORS" like the 110, 112, 140, 200's, etc. -think two branches on the same tree- Those of us with the lawn tractors are still just a little on the fringe is all. I own the one 111h, two 116h's, a 70 and two 110's.

Nothing I have is newer than 1985. I personally think we belong here, even though this site's database does not track our models (But it does include the 60 and the 70 lawn tractor and garden tractors from the 90s.) I have read a lot of the postings here in WFM about JD's lawn tractors, so they aren't completely the 'negelected step child'.

Regarding your mechanical issues, I am afraid I can not be too much help. I had to completely replace the carb on my 111H because parts were worn out so much. The engine in my 111h is actually its third(!). The original owner didn't maintain it well and it blew. A used 8hp was put in and that didn't last long. When I got it the 8 was history and I had a 12hp briggs that fit in with no modification. The 12 was well used but lasted through 11+ years of heavy mowing. That engine finally passed this spring, and I am looking for a replacement. Anything in the 11hp through 13/14hp range briggs or kawasaki (non-overheard valve) should fit in there. Why is your revving? I do not know about that as I have never experienced it myself.

Good luck w/ your 111. Let's keep gently all pushing for more inclusion...

rayg

·
Registered
836 Posts
Steve ,don't feel bad about posting in the incorrect forum . Take a look at the lawn tractor forum . Terry types a polite "wrong forum" answer about every third post . Thats probably why he pokes himself in the eye & has developed a Curly Howard laugh .

I don't want to make you feel bad , but what you have are lawn tractors . When purchased new , they were much less expensive than a "Garden Tractor" & would give the average owner several , maybe many years of mowing & snowblowing duty . However , they were not , to use the cliche', built to last . The main differences between a G/T & a L/T is the heaviness & strength of the frame & transmission , and the type of work each tractor can handle . Think pulling a plow or running a tiller attachment ALL DAY LONG .
The reason I said all this is not to belittle you , but to encourage you to GET a garden tractor at some point . You can often find a decent gear drive garden tractor for less than $500 . They are ending up as scrap steel .

·
Registered
723 Posts
My 1980 111 is still on the job. 32 yrs. mowing
3/4 acre, or a little more. Mowing only.
38" deck spindles have had the bearings replaced
twice. Been maintained. Kept clean. Wouldn't trade it even up for ANY brand new one (comparable size) they sell now days. Bobo

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Since this thread has been so busy, I moved it to the proper forum. Keep in mind, the Late Model forum is newer posts on the top instead of like the other forums where newer posts go on the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ray,
I have a 111H that I put a 18hp Vanguard into about 2 years ago. Ended up putting in an extra idler pulley in for the drive belt to get clearance around everything because the drive shaft is centered in the engine. The 11hp briggs had an offset shaft. Then I got a little longer belt to make up for the extra distance. Its worked well for me. Bought it from Jim's Repair.
Bruce

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello
I have a Peerless 801 Gear drive transmission on a John Deere 111 Lawn tractor (Serial # M00111S300663).
Lately I've noticed the transmission has a lot of slack in reverse gear. For example, if I park the tractor in reverse gear, I can push the tractor back and forth approx. 3 inches before the transmission stops the movement. It first came to my attention when I would put the transmission into reverse (with the engine running) and it would take a short while (1/4 second?) to engage.
The movement is inside the gear box as the rear wheels will turn approx.10 degrees before the transmission engages.
My question is this....Is this a indicator of a coming transmission failure?
Is there any maintenance that I can do to this gear box?
The transmission is quiet, and shifts smoothly. It's just this slack that concerns me.
There is definitely some play between the gears somewhere.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any response.
steve

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Dan,
I don't think the bagger is still available from Deere, but there should be a lot of used ones out there. Check ebay, Craig's List, our classified section here and even put in a wanted ad in our "Wanted to Buy" section in the classifieds.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a model 43 blade that has a lot of play in the pivot point. Has anyone posted anything on this topic. I couldn't find anything in the search. My thought is to replace the bolt and weld washers to take up the play. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lee,
Do you use it with a manual blade angling kit? If so, the bolt may be worn or too loose. You could pull it and check for wear, but it does not have to be too tight so as to impair angling the blade freely.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.