Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Well, I am deep into a model 46 snow thrower restoration project and am looking for opinions or guidance on how others have balanced the augers of say a 46 snowthrower or even the auger of a model 49 snowthrower... (Per JDparts, they are the same part number). By balancing i mean trying to even out the two sides of the auger to avoid vibrations at operating speed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Kevin, if the 46 and 49 use the same auger/shaft, the model 50 I have will fit the 46 because 49 and 50 are interchangeable. I thought I had some photos of it but can't find them right now ... Gabby

·
Registered
3,502 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you want it mostly balanced place it with shaft on two metal straight edges that are very level. then the heavy side will settle to the bottom. If you have an engine builder friend they can balance it in the crank balancer.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Balancing an auger is a good idea. Not sure if they just ballpark them from factory, or if it’s from them getting bent over the years, but I know my 36 blower shakes pretty good.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have yet to see the snow feed evenly into the snow blowers that I use and the spare 2x4 blocks that go through it or the chunks of ice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I asked was last saturday a model 46 blower was brought to my house from by my family. This snowthrower was bought off of craigslist, I was unable to see it in person but saw plenty of pics. When I connected the blower to my x720 and started it up, it had a horrible shake however the auger looked pretty even. It was bought at a price that I knew that if I needed to fix it I would still be ok... What I discovered was that it was a tad more beat up than I thought however everything is repairable. I did run it for a bit and it had a pretty good shake to it..

1) the PTO shaft between blower and tractor was to long and was binding in longest position. Today I picked up the shortened pto shaft for a local driveline place, they were able to remove the necessary length for me.

2) the 46's have a universal joint from the 90 degree gear case to the drive sprocket. One of the connections in the universal joint was rounded from 1" to 1.125-1.25" thus there was a ton of slop in that connection. The solid shaft had a bit of wear as well.

3) the driven sprocket that connects to the auger was very worn and the PO had welded a few spots to help it "fit" needless to say it was a bit "wobbly and lose"

4) the 1" steel shaft inside the auger I believe is slightly bent as the auger liked to rotate to one spot and rest there.. I could also see weird movement in the end of the shaft in the bearings...

5) gear sprockets show a bit of wear, I had already purchased a complete replacement set before it was delivered...

Positives: new bearings, all pieces are there, good candidate for a rebuild...

Ultimately I am rebuilding this blower as I will be in it way less than the a 47" 2 stage and even some of the 46's I have seen advertised.

The pto shaft shortening is done. A local tractor restoration place is bringing in the universal joint parts and keyed shaft. In the meantime I am working on a repaint of the parts and preparing for re-assembly...

It is a bit more than I wanted however I plan to keep the x720 20 years so I feel it is an investment...

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Kevin, the thing is restoring it yourself you know what you have when finished. If you notice something not correct while using it you will have a good idea how to fix it yourself. The other thing with new bearings and other parts it should last you for quite a few years. I think the rebuild is a wise move on your part ... Gabby

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally Agree Gabby.... It was that way with my 317 that I brought back to life... thank goodness it stayed in the family...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts